General Football Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

rjf1

Re: General Football Discussion

Bericht door rjf1 » do dec 22, 2016 4:55 pm

Not surprised at that - Ziyech hasn't exactly set the world on fire during his time at Ajax.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » do dec 22, 2016 6:20 pm

rjf1 schreef:Not surprised at that - Ziyech hasn't exactly set the world on fire during his time at Ajax.
Reidewald has played well in his position, I know van de Been also plays there. It's worth a try. I was hoping that Ziyech would be absent to give the others a chance.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do dec 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Traore will either go to Africa or still be out injured. Big worry Onana has said no to his country but they could get him banned for the 3 weeks duration.

Krul was shown as out injured last weekend and before that was not deemed match fit . Cannot really see him replacing Onana ,if he's banned.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do dec 22, 2016 8:26 pm

Ayman schreef:
rjf1 schreef:Not surprised at that - Ziyech hasn't exactly set the world on fire during his time at Ajax.
Reidewald has played well in his position, I know van de Been also plays there. It's worth a try. I was hoping that Ziyech would be absent to give the others a chance.
Riedewald has only played DM and not up front where Ziyech plays.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » vr dec 23, 2016 9:36 am

Orange14 schreef:
Ayman schreef:
Riedewald has only played DM and not up front where Ziyech plays.
Didn't Riedewald play in the left side of midfield on his debut in a friendly in January 2014, when he scored?

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr dec 23, 2016 2:46 pm

Ayman schreef: Didn't Riedewald play in the left side of midfield on his debut in a friendly in January 2014, when he scored?
It was a league match (Roda??? can't remember) and he came in at LB with about 15 minutes to go. IIRC he scored two goals, the first to tie it and the second to win it.

EDIT: Just checked and yes it was Roda and he was 17 years old at the time.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » za feb 18, 2017 4:13 pm

http://ajaxdaily.com/2017/friday-five-w ... seriously/

Good insight on why Ajax need to take the Europa league seriously

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do mar 02, 2017 8:09 pm

Read today the English FA asked Chong ,the ex Feyenoord kid at Man u and Castillo ,ex Ajax at Chelsea whether they would considered qualifying to play for England.Both said they remain Dutch . Given both went there for money maybe the English FA didn't offer them enough !

Seriously this stinks and I have zero respect for our FA or indeed the Premier league. Roll on Brexit in 2019 as it means English sides wont be be able to sign any foreign kid until aged 18 ,ie FIFA law for anyone outside the EU.

PS.
All these kids who come to England aged 16 must remember only one kid aged 16/17 came to England and became a regular ,Tim Krul , and on current form doubt whether AZ will want him.Newcastle are not exactly a big side though. Ake of Chelsea will likely make it but not at a big club. Watford and Bournemouth,where he has played, are just moderate sides

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » wo apr 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Reading that Dick Advocaat is set to be appointed as coach for the Dutch national team. Hasn't the KNVB exhausted the old guard already? Van Gaal, Hiddink and Advocaat have had two spells at the helm already!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo apr 26, 2017 7:45 pm

Ayman schreef:Reading that Dick Advocaat is set to be appointed as coach for the Dutch national team. Hasn't the KNVB exhausted the old guard already? Van Gaal, Hiddink and Advocaat have had two spells at the helm already!
This will be Advocaat's 2nd spell. He is well remembered for taking off Arjen Robben in 2004 European Championship for Paul Bosvelt in a group game against the Czechs. NT was up 2-1 and ended up losing 2-3 and finished 2nd in the group. They then had to play host Portugal in the knockout stage semifinals. I remember thinking Advocaat had lost it then. I can't see the Dutch qualifying with him at the helm.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » wo apr 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Orange14 schreef:
Ayman schreef:Reading that Dick Advocaat is set to be appointed as coach for the Dutch national team. Hasn't the KNVB exhausted the old guard already? Van Gaal, Hiddink and Advocaat have had two spells at the helm already!
This will be Advocaat's 2nd spell. He is well remembered for taking off Arjen Robben in 2004 European Championship for Paul Bosvelt in a group game against the Czechs. NT was up 2-1 and ended up losing 2-3 and finished 2nd in the group. They then had to play host Portugal in the knockout stage semifinals. I remember thinking Advocaat had lost it then. I can't see the Dutch qualifying with him at the helm.
Dick Advocaat Also managed the Netherlands in the 1994 world cup.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo apr 26, 2017 10:37 pm

@Ayman - right you are about Advocaat. Don't know why this slipped my mind as I attended the Saudi Arabia match her in Washington DC.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » wo apr 26, 2017 10:40 pm

Orange14 schreef:@Ayman - right you are about Advocaat. Don't know why this slipped my mind as I attended the Saudi Arabia match her in Washington DC.
Those were the glory days for Dutch football. Ajax already won the Uefa cup two years before that. And had built a promising team. Incidentally Ajax had seven players in the Dutch national team during the world cup in 1994

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do apr 27, 2017 10:29 am

Historically Advocat has consistently bailed when a bigger cheque was waived in front of his nose...

I can see Gullit (a serial failer as manager) being in charge of the NT by the time we're mathematically out of the WC qualifying campaign.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do apr 27, 2017 10:51 am

It was going to be Henk Ten Cate as coach but they decided on Advocaat.No one can be as bad as Blind,sticking a 17 year old boy into a qualifier after only 5 club games.

About the only person who could have rescued our WC qualifiying is V Gaal

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » do apr 27, 2017 12:35 pm

Those KNVB folks are so proud, FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS, that they can't see that there isn't a single capable Dutch manager to coach the NT. I am talking about managers that would consider working with the NT. If their problem is playing the Dutch way of football, then go to a foreign manager. These days other managers are better than the Dutch. Sad but true
May the Force be with you

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do apr 27, 2017 1:19 pm

souras84 schreef:Those KNVB folks are so proud, FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS, that they can't see that there isn't a single capable Dutch manager to coach the NT. I am talking about managers that would consider working with the NT. If their problem is playing the Dutch way of football, then go to a foreign manager. These days other managers are better than the Dutch. Sad but true
I would love to see Marcelo Bielsa in charge of the NT. He would have them playing total football. When he was in charge of Chile, they struck fear in the hearts of all opponents.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » do apr 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Orange14 schreef:
souras84 schreef:Those KNVB folks are so proud, FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS, that they can't see that there isn't a single capable Dutch manager to coach the NT. I am talking about managers that would consider working with the NT. If their problem is playing the Dutch way of football, then go to a foreign manager. These days other managers are better than the Dutch. Sad but true
I would love to see Marcelo Bielsa in charge of the NT. He would have them playing total football. When he was in charge of Chile, they struck fear in the hearts of all opponents.
It's not easy for anyone to coach the Dutch national team, it's a tough one to call. Personally, I would have preferred Ron Jans of Zwolle. He is relatively unknown, but he is a good tactician and a good motivator. What would Netherlands have to lose with him in charge? Considering the sad state of affairs?!

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » do apr 27, 2017 9:11 pm

Orange14 schreef:I would love to see Marcelo Bielsa in charge of the NT. He would have them playing total football. When he was in charge of Chile, they struck fear in the hearts of all opponents.
Well I think he's available, wasn't there some crazy situation recently where he signed on to manage a [Spanish?] club and then resigned after a couple of days because they didn't buy him any players?

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » wo mei 10, 2017 10:26 am

For those that don't follow the shenanigans at the KNVB too closely I suggest this article:

http://dutchsoccersite.org/another-knvb ... -screw-up/

Unfrickinbelievable!!!
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo mei 10, 2017 1:17 pm

Nice column in the New York Times today comparing Monaco's semifinal team that went out to Juventus yesterday with the van Gaal Ajax squad of the 1990s. Will Monaco be able to keep all their young players and make another run for the CL or will they suffer the fate of Ajax and see the all move on to richer squads.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/spor ... ctionfront

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo mei 17, 2017 1:32 pm

Amin Younes received a call up for the German NT. They will be playing in the Confederations Cup that is the held the summer before the World Cup in the host country (Russia). It's a distinctly second tier group of players that Jurgen Loew has selected but an honor in any event.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » za mei 27, 2017 7:12 pm

If Arsenal lose the FA cup final, I pray that Wenger leaves and Arsenal sign Overmars as their TD, we can then get the friendly Jordi Cruyff where the likes of Tete can go to his open warm arms?!

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » za mei 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Wenger isn't going anywhere, as long as the Arsenal owners are happy with the team having positive fiscal years!

Plus what's with the Kluivert Mourinho conversation about him leaving next year???
May the Force be with you

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » za mei 27, 2017 8:15 pm

Ayman schreef:If Arsenal lose the FA cup final, I pray that Wenger leaves and Arsenal sign Overmars as their TD, we can then get the friendly Jordi Cruyff where the likes of Tete can go to his open warm arms?!
Jordi could have a good contribution to a big European club football.
But knowing him a little bit Jordi will never aspire to get on Overmars his seat. He is not an idiot.

Plaats reactie