The Committee's Conclusions

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma feb 18, 2008 12:25 am

The latest: according to his lawyer, Maarten Fontein was not asked to resign. Th only thing they asked him was something like "do you think you can still do your job now?" Fontein is at home, trying to make up his mind. He was "not invited by Ajax" for the press conference.

All in all, it sounds like this man is going to disappear from the ArenA. Which is a bit odd. He's a business man, he's supposed to make money for the club. And he did: the new sponsor deal with Aegon is top drawer and he came up with the 'China plan', too. He delivered as a 'money maker' for Ajax - even though he hasn't been around that long.

You'd expect that Martin van Geel (who undeniably failed on the transfer market this season) and/or John Jaakke (who's been around for quite a long time and has been unable to avoid the current unrest) would be the first victims...

K.
Still alive...

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » ma feb 18, 2008 3:49 am

Bringing Arie van Eijden back? WTF?
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Snyde

Bericht door Snyde » ma feb 18, 2008 7:11 am

Is there a link to this report?

Also can I find an English version of it? I really hate to use retarted translations.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma feb 18, 2008 9:14 am

I got the whole report from a friend but it's all in Dutch of course.
Appie, stay strong !

DanK

Bericht door DanK » ma feb 18, 2008 10:58 am

aveslacker schreef:Bringing Arie van Eijden back? WTF?
Yep. 2nd that :confused.gif:

bryan

Bericht door bryan » ma feb 18, 2008 1:27 pm

If anything Maarten Fontein should be given a, better, more specific role within the club that will let him go about his business undisturbed. Director of Commercial Operations or something.... but that's pretty much what he's doing already, no?

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma feb 18, 2008 1:31 pm

Its an easy job to criticise, not such an easy one to actually fire people, and an even harder job to find people who can do a better job than the ones that you fire.

I want Ajax to be successful playing sassy football but not through the madness that seems to have inhabited planet Ajax these last 10 years.

The club and its supporters have an obsessive desire for something that cannot be there in a football club 100% of the time. Ajax is all about great success and about great failure. If you go chasing the success by the methods Ajax have used then you are doomed to failure.
Co had the best idea with his 3 (?) year plan and what did all the fans do - they demonstrated against him when he dared lose a few home games in a row and forced the club to sack him.

There is a need to have a long term as well as a short term plan, but have we the people that can do this and then employ people to implement this strategy. Probably like the rest of you I really don't know the answer, but lets hope somebody does.

And one last plea - just remember when you are calling for this person or other to be sacked, that they too are a human being trying to earn a living the best they can and that by sacking them you might cause them and their family great suffering etc. and this all in the cause of kicking a bit of leather around on some grass and tring to get it between 3 sticks more times than your opponent does.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

bryan

Bericht door bryan » ma feb 18, 2008 1:55 pm

I can remember fans singing "Louis rot op" in early 1997.

That says it all really.

Arthur

Bericht door Arthur » ma feb 18, 2008 2:26 pm

Hmm, I don't remember that happening at all and I already had a season ticket back then. Even if it did happen it must have been a (very) small minority.

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » ma feb 18, 2008 2:53 pm

"And one last plea - just remember when you are calling for this person or other to be sacked, that they too are a human being trying to earn a living the best they can and that by sacking them you might cause them and their family great suffering etc"

Oh puhr-leaze.

you don't think these guys haven't arranged lucrative golden parachutes for themselves?

It's a tough old world at the top of the tree, (or even as in this case, half way up it) and you either sink or swim.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma feb 18, 2008 5:31 pm

Ajax to act on report Coronel (official site)

Amsterdam, 17 feb 2008
The committee Coronel has taken a critical look at Ajax. ,,It was quite a difficult day”, John Jaakke said. ,,But we are glad that the report has been published.”

It was busier than ever in the press room of the Amsterdam ArenA on Sunday. Everyone was curious about the report of the committee Coronel, that was published earlier in the day. Uri Coronel (chairman of the committee that investigated ten years of policy at Ajax), Ajax chairman John Jaakke and Cor van Eijden (chairman Members' Council) all took their time to answer questions of the media.

The findings of the committee are not mild. The management model has to change: the managing director has to be the figure head of the club, the Board of Governors has to operate more in the background, the relationship with the grassroots (supporters, sponsors and other stakeholders) needs to be improved and Ajax should consider leaving the stock exchange. ,,Going to the stock exchange offers no more added financial value'', said Uri Coronel.

In the technical area the committee advises to choose for a clear model: a strong coach, who also serves as technical director (the 'Van Gaal model') or a strong technical director, who is in charge of the coach and decides all football-technical appointments. The committee thinks the current division of roles too vague.

The media representatives labelled the report as 'very critical'. They wanted to know of John Jaakke which steps are going to be taken. ,,First we have to see what exactly the report says”, the chairman said. ,,Then we are going to see what it all means and finally we have to decide what to do wit the conclusions and recommendations.” The press wanted to know if people will be fired because of the report. There is much criticism in the document of managing director Maarten Fontein. ,,Maarten Fontein is still employed at Ajax'', said Jaakke. ,,Of course talks will be held with the people mentioned in the report. But if we have anything to say about personnel changes, we will do this in the usual way.”

The committee advises the management of Ajax to act quickly. ,,Firstly, there has to be clarity about the coaches model that is going to be used”, said Uri Coronel. ,,That is something that can be decided upon shortly. Also, steps can be taken quickly when it concerns the role of the Board of Governors and Ajax's position on the stock exchange.”

John Jaakke emphasised that Ajax, despite the criticism, still has much to be proud of. ,,Ajax is a fantastic club, with fantastic supporters. Many things are going well at Ajax :1evil.gif: , other things can and must be improved."
Appie, stay strong !

Jeroen126

Bericht door Jeroen126 » ma feb 18, 2008 11:04 pm

Many things are going well, Philippe, and it is the man's job to acknowledge this, especially during turbulent times like these. What do you want him to say, everything is fucked and the whole club has failed under my regime? :confused.gif:
i don't like the guy (and think he should leave ASAP), but it seems you're just looking for a reason to hate him.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » di feb 19, 2008 9:07 am

Joeska schreef:Many things are going well, Philippe,
Could you please name a few, I must have missed something. :joey1.gif:
Appie, stay strong !

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » di feb 19, 2008 10:53 am

"Could you please name a few, I must have missed something."

The sponsorship deal Fontein negotiated with Aegon is the eigth biggest in football history.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » di feb 19, 2008 11:01 am

that's more like it, I thought there was something going well with football :rocketwhore.gif:
Appie, stay strong !

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » di feb 19, 2008 2:20 pm

I've some doubts about the overall quality of this article (ESPN), but there are interestings things, like this :
Unwise as well, was to appoint former Ajax-players as head coach or even as youth trainers without checking if they had the competence. Jan Wouters and Danny Blind started at Ajax as club trainers. Their Ajax-background would suffice, according to the board. It did not. Both were fired after a torrid time and are scared for life.

Interestingly, Ajax is now negotiating with Marco van Basten to become the next manager. Van Basten has never trained a club either.
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di feb 19, 2008 3:07 pm

Cedric_AeF schreef:
Unwise as well, was to appoint former Ajax-players as head coach or even as youth trainers without checking if they had the competence. Jan Wouters and Danny Blind started at Ajax as club trainers. Their Ajax-background would suffice, according to the board. It did not. Both were fired after a torrid time and are scared for life.
It's not that bad, is it? :drecul.gif:
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

DanK

Bericht door DanK » di feb 19, 2008 3:32 pm

Cedric_AeF schreef:I've some doubts about the overall quality of this article (ESPN), but there are interestings things, like this :

Interestingly, Ajax is now negotiating with Marco van Basten to become the next manager. Van Basten has never trained a club either.
Interesting read. Also very sad in a way. Hopefully this will actually help and in another 10 years we don't have to go through the same process again.

I agree that Ajax (actually any football club) shouldn't be on the stock exchange. Its too risky and you have to please investors and pray that the market doesn't collapse as well. Some parts of football will destory itself with so much concern over investing. Ajax is just one example of what can go wrong.

I really don't give a rats if we don't play the 'ajax-way' for a while. Lets just start to build a strong squad that can compete in the league and europe. Is that too much to ask???

Ajax forever!

:ajaxscarf.gif:

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » di feb 19, 2008 4:41 pm

aveslacker schreef:
Cedric_AeF schreef:
It's not that bad, is it? :drecul.gif:
very interesting read, a very deep analysis :biggrin.gif:

Jaakke will most likely resign before long, and Ajax will start over for good
Appie, stay strong !

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » di feb 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Yes, it is that bad.

Wouters is hiding in a rural gated community called Eindhoven and Blind tried to drink his fears away.

Wouters --> :glotz.gif:
Blind (now) --> :alc.gif: <-- van Basten (next year)
aveslacker schreef:
Jan Wouters and Danny Blind started at Ajax as club trainers. Their Ajax-background would suffice, according to the board. It did not. Both were fired after a torrid time and are scared for life.
It's not that bad, is it?
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di feb 19, 2008 5:53 pm

666 schreef:Yes, it is that bad.

Wouters is hiding in a rural gated community called Eindhoven and Blind tried to drink his fears away.
I guess it is that bad. :blush.gif:
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » di feb 19, 2008 6:14 pm

So it looks like the report basically told us what people here knew all along. Ajax needs competent management, a good system, and a good coach. Unfortunately I'm not too hopeful as others have said, the report may have the opposite effect and cause more instability.

While I don't think we should be on the stock market, I hardly think that's an excuse for the previous 10 years' performance. We still had plenty of money, but haven't had anyone in management or technically, that could get results.

I really think the way out of this, and to turn things around, is the 'van Gaal' approach. Get a strong coach who will make all the footballing decisions, put those above business decisions on the whole, and give him time (3 years) to see some adequate progress.

I definitely don't think van Basten is this type of candidate, and I really can't see how appointing him coach would in any way be in line with the reports' recommendations.

orange goblin
Contacteer:

Bericht door orange goblin » di feb 19, 2008 7:13 pm

totally agree
O tempora o mores

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 19, 2008 7:20 pm

Today is D-Day...

The Members' Council meets today and the board will join them later this evening. The press seem to expect that both Fontein and Jaakke will resign.

Johan Cruijff has been spotted at De Toekomst. He is a Member of Honour and therefore a permanent member of the Members' Council, but he almost never shows up for meetings. Today he's there, reportedly.

K.
Still alive...

DanK

Bericht door DanK » di feb 19, 2008 8:03 pm

gordonvandekamp schreef: I really think the way out of this, and to turn things around, is the 'van Gaal' approach. Get a strong coach who will make all the footballing decisions, put those above business decisions on the whole, and give him time (3 years) to see some adequate progress...
It would be nice if we could hang onto a coach for more than a few hours, which seems to have been the case for the past few years.

While I can see why the fans complain when there are obvious issues, sometimes I think some people need to take a good look at themselves and stop calling for a coaches sacking because you didn't like they way we might have played against VVV or Excelsior for example. Hey guess what? We aren't going to win each game 6-0 and play the greatest football on the planet each week.

A lot of people have unrealistic expectations of Ajax and how the team needs to play. I agree lets get a decent coach and give them some time to do something with the team.

Anyway. Just my 2 cents. Hopefully the new coach can convince Heitinga and Huntelaar to stay which will help the club no end :ajaxsmiley.gif:

Plaats reactie