John O'Brien

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

ajaxusa
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » di mei 24, 2005 4:25 pm

O'Brien is ready to make his return for the US National team against England (friendly) this weekend.
Excellent interview on Soccernet
Picture and caption from Getty Images
Go get'em John!!!

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » di mei 24, 2005 10:01 pm

Here's another interview with John (I guess he's making the press rounds -- maybe he'll be on the Daily Show tonight!) in Soccer America:

Q&A with JOHN O'BRIEN: Toiling toward a comeback

This one is even more candid about his departure from Ajax. Finally puts to rest the rumors that his departure had anything to do with Koeman.

BTW, I am keeping alive this O'Brien thread instead of folding it into the Departed Players thread. There's just so much interest in him in America that I think we should keep this thread alive for a while.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » di mei 24, 2005 10:08 pm

ajaxusa schreef:Here's another interview with John (I guess he's making the press rounds -- maybe he'll be on the Daily Show tonight!) in Soccer America:

Q&A with JOHN O'BRIEN: Toiling toward a comeback

This one is even more candid about his departure from Ajax. Finally puts to rest the rumors that his departure had anything to do with Koeman.

BTW, I am keeping alive this O'Brien thread instead of folding it into the Departed Players thread. There's just so much interest in him in America that I think we should keep this thread alive for a while.
That is exactly what I was thinking about... "Shouldn't he be in the Former Ajax Players" thread now ???"

FUCK THAT !! He's such a nice guy, he always gave his best on the pitch when he could and he was injured so many times that he just deserves a thread. Period.

EDIT : I've just finished reading the article and it seems that :

* Ajax physios did a bad job with John (at least that is what he thinks)

* Ronald Koeman was under a lot of pressure and wasn't listening to the players

* Den Haag is a nice city.... Did he ever attend a game here ?? Bunch of gorillas...
meh :|

bluedaddy19
Contacteer:

Bericht door bluedaddy19 » di mei 24, 2005 10:32 pm

anybody notice this passage?

ESPN.com: Before signing with your new club, did you look outside of Holland at all?

O'Brien: It was kind of a last minute sort of thing that my agent managed to put together. If I would have left Holland, it would have been hard for me to get back in since I would've had to re-apply for a work permit. So he got me a one-year contract with The Hague. I'm open to playing somewhere else in Europe, for sure. But my priority right now is just getting back on the field and enjoying the sport again. The Hague is going to give me a good opportunity to do that.

is he hinting at a possible AJAX return? why else would he be so concerned with re-applying for a dutch WP? maybe just wishful thinking, but that sentence leapt out at me

btw i don't see how this interview necessarily lets koeman off the hook, john's a pretty diplomatic guy
AJAX HUP ROOD WITTE SCHARE, DAPP RE STRIJDERS FIER EN KOEN
GEEN CLUB DIE ONS KAN EVENAREN, ROOD EN WIT WORDT KAMPIOEN

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » di mei 24, 2005 10:49 pm

I think it's less about returning to Holland and more about other countries in the EU. I don't know the laws and rules, but my assumption is that John holds an EU work-permit, as opposed to a NL work-permit. But... I don't know. I don't think he particularly wants to return to NL, but who knows.

Ajax again? I doubt that very much.

What's clear is that O'Brien did not believe staying at the club was in his best interests, because they had other priorities and did not support his unusual therapy request. Koeman was part of the power structure, and probably had something to do with those decisions. But the rumors that O'Brien left *because* Koeman - because he wasn't playing him, because he played him in the wrong position, because he didn't love him - are not valid. There's nothing to support the claim that Koeman drove O'Brien away from Ajax. All the evidence is to the contrary. It all came down to getting truly fit and healthy. And that wasn't going to happen at Ajax, so he left. Doesn't seem too mysterious to me.

bluedaddy19
Contacteer:

Bericht door bluedaddy19 » di mei 24, 2005 11:17 pm

ajaxusa schreef:I think it's less about returning to Holland and more about other countries in the EU. I don't know the laws and rules, but my assumption is that John holds an EU work-permit, as opposed to a NL work-permit. But... I don't know. I don't think he particularly wants to return to NL, but who knows.

no, he holds a netherlands WP

ajaxusa schreef:Ajax again? I doubt that very much.

well... it's sure nice to think about

ajaxusa schreef:What's clear is that O'Brien did not believe staying at the club was in his best interests, because they had other priorities and did not support his unusual therapy request...

nor would they play him, you kinda leave that bit out - i never said it was one thing or all koeman, and i certainly have an easier time believing it was a combination of factors - in short, i doubt he runs off to cali if he is playing
AJAX HUP ROOD WITTE SCHARE, DAPP RE STRIJDERS FIER EN KOEN
GEEN CLUB DIE ONS KAN EVENAREN, ROOD EN WIT WORDT KAMPIOEN

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » wo mei 25, 2005 7:37 am

Best of luck to John, whatever the future holds.The US is sure better when he's in the side.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo mei 25, 2005 9:50 am

Blind3 schreef:Best of luck to John, whatever the future holds.The US is sure better when he's in the side.
That goal against Portugal, that pass to Clint Mathis against Korea, that pass to Eddie Lewis against Mexico. These are the things that I will remember John by. I hope he gets to that point again in the next year.

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » ma jul 11, 2005 8:24 pm

O'Brien is back playing for his country again, in the Gold Cup tournament. He played an unremarkable few minutes at the end of the game vs. Cuba, and then started and played 67 minutes against Canada. I didn't see the latter game, but this write-up lavishes praise on his performance:
A huge difference for the U.S. was John O'Brien. He added both experience and elegance to a U.S. midfield that tends to be run straight ahead when Claudio Reyna is not on the field. Like Reyna, O'Brien can hold the ball and direct play sending lovely passes with either foot.

As he gained more confidence as the match progressed, O'Brien participated more in the attack and it was he who caused the own goal by Atiba Hutchinson in the 48th minute that stood as the only goal until Donovan's insurance tally.
Welcome back, John. It's so great to see you retuning to Team USA.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di jul 12, 2005 1:21 am

Welcome back John! Now please stay healthy . The September 3 USA home qualifier (in Columbus,OH) v. Mexico is a match in which his style can make a difference. Ditto, the qualifier v. Costa Rica.

Hope he will play well for ADO, but that those supporters will suffer thru a relegation-fear plagued season.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » za jul 16, 2005 3:23 pm

Minutes man back on the clock
Healthier O'Brien giving US a leg up
By John Powers, Globe Staff | July 16, 2005

FOXBOROUGH -- So, who's that mystery guest with a mop of reddish curls and a forest of freckles? Shouldn't he be wearing a HELLO, MY NAME IS . . . tag on his jersey? ''Some players, obviously, I didn't know," says John O'Brien. ''I had to introduce myself a bit."

Full story

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » zo jul 24, 2005 8:30 pm

John O'Brien story on the APP.com website...

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 40418/1002

K.
Still alive...

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

First O’Brien training in Zuiderpark

Bericht door ajaxusa » wo jul 27, 2005 6:56 am

Someone sent me this rough translation from ADO Den Haag website today. There's a nice picture of John on the ADO home page, too.
John O'Brien has joined today (Tuesday 26 July) in the Zuiderparkstadion (South Park Stadium) for his first training with ADO The Hague. Tomorrow the midfielder will be part of the selection in the game against Wolverhampton Wanderers. Because the American international just arrived in the Netherlands, O'Brien trained separately today from the group. Along with the recovering Ferrie Bodde, he did limited exercises. He signed an agreement with ADO The Hague in February of this year, at which time he was recuperating from a long-term injury. Since he’s been a longtime out of the picture, it’s high time to renew acquaintances.

Ado-supporters have had to wait for a long time for you. Where you have all spent those months?
One of the reasons that I chose to play this year for ADO, was that they agreed to my recuperation plans in the United States. It was possible to attend a private clinic with a special rehabilitation program that had many top American sportsmen.

It has been a good decision?
Absolutely. I have been able to work three months in all to get retrained. I was surrounded daily with athletes from a large number of sport disciplines which all had the same objective. Tennis players, basketball players, and, particularly, many American football players were training. For them the season had ended and many worked there for their preparation to the new season. From the rehabilitation centre I could combine practice with the American team in preparation for the tournament for the Gold Cup. I virtually played in all the Gold Cup games from the start, and in the final game I even played 120 minutes. I therefore can state that I am now in great condition.

Were you working out during the rehabilitation with well-known American superstars?
This summer it was possible that I was. Because I have lived so long outside America, I do not know many of them. There were some big names there, but most of them were not known to me. What is notable, however, is that American sport culture differs a lot from what we are used in the Netherlands. I had to get used to it there. Perhaps, I’m too much a foreigner after all these years.

And how was the CONCACAF cup experience?
To me was it most important that I could perform at a high level and could play complete games. And it is beautiful of course that we won the tournament. Thanks to Major Soccer League, we have a deeper selection in comparison to some years ago. Also, in the past there were not a considerable number of active players abroad as there are now.

You received honorable mention as one of the important USA team players during the tournament?
Did that happen? I didn’t know it. Right after the final I went to the plane as soon as possible to come to The Hague. That I was one of the better players of the tournament is news to me. It is nevertheless a complete honor and moreover an affirmation that I am in good condition.
I hope he does well enough for Den Haag to sell him by Christmas break. I'd hate to think of his success making ADO a better team. ;)

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Re: First O’Brien training in Zuiderpark

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo jul 27, 2005 7:07 am

ajaxusa schreef:There's a nice picture of John on the ADO home page, too.
Don't they have hairdressers in America...? ;)

He looks like he didn't go for a haircut since he left Holland...

K.
Still alive...

Neefkens
Erelid

Bericht door Neefkens » wo jul 27, 2005 7:32 am

I always liked the guy, a pity that his body wouldn't cooperate..... X'C

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo jul 27, 2005 1:20 pm

Neefkens schreef:I always liked the guy, a pity that his body wouldn't cooperate..... X'C
I agree. I watched his last match (USA v Panama) and it looked like he was fit, but his skills were still a bit rusty. Also, he wasn't always on the same page as some of his teammates.

Wish he were still with Ajax. X'C
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo jul 27, 2005 1:30 pm

It's a bit ironic that he will actually play against us in the first game of the season...

It's a shame he's no longer playing for us and it's even more of a shame that the two other clubs he played for in Holland were Utrecht and Den Haag... What's next...? F%$#%$#rd?

K.
Still alive...

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo jul 27, 2005 1:34 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:It's a bit ironic that he will actually play against us in the first game of the season...

It's a shame he's no longer playing for us and it's even more of a shame that the two other clubs he played for in Holland were Utrecht and Den Haag... What's next...? F%$#%$#rd?

K.
And even more sad when you consider that the one certain void in the current Ajax starting XI is at left back...
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » wo jul 27, 2005 3:30 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:It's a shame he's no longer playing for us and it's even more of a shame that the two other clubs he played for in Holland were Utrecht and Den Haag... What's next...? F%$#%$#rd?
At least he'll never play for Honduras. Damn, those mo'fo's are dirty tacklers. :-o

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo jul 27, 2005 9:08 pm

ajaxusa schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef:It's a shame he's no longer playing for us and it's even more of a shame that the two other clubs he played for in Holland were Utrecht and Den Haag... What's next...? F%$#%$#rd?
At least he'll never play for Honduras. Damn, those mo'fo's are dirty tacklers. :-o
Just like every other team in CONCACAF. :nooo:
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » zo aug 07, 2005 5:22 pm

I've added a photo (and a brief summary) from his Den Haag debut to O'Brien's page on AUSA:

http://www.ajax-usa.com/team/j_obrien/

BTW, John played the full 90 minutes.

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » ma aug 29, 2005 3:10 pm

Happy Birthday, John. May your 28th year be a happy one!
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » ma aug 29, 2005 3:51 pm

ajaxusa schreef:Happy Birthday, John. May your 28th year be a happy one!
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
And stay healthy, ffs!

(Apparently he is out with an abdominal strain. Hope he gets healthy in time for the US-Mexico classic - we could use another goalie out there :redcard: )
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » ma sep 12, 2005 3:52 pm

Per the match report on http://www.adodenhaag.nl/ as translated so poetically by Babelfish, it sounds like John made a fine impression while his team were getting their lunch handed to them.

NAC Breda - ADO Den Haag 4-1
Youssef El-Akchaoui, who had no answer to the game of Julian Jenner, was replaced by John O'Brien. The American international operated in the midfield, as a result of which Tomasz Rzasa of the center-midfield shifted to the left-midfield. These measures were effective. John O'Brien brought control to The Hague and provided the attack with the necessary incentives.
NAC however had already taken too much a lead, and as a result of which The Hague had little chance of changing the result for the sports fans. O'Brien in fact provided stability, which prevented NAC from walking away with an out of proportion win.
For a long time only hope prevailed. The Hague seemed to be able to come into the game. Arno van Zwam stopped that hope by one good save after another. ADO The Hague lost hope entirely when Maceo Rigters in second half scored for 4-0.
Jan-Paul Saeijs saved face for The Hague by means of a penalty kick. With that the central defender became The Hague top scorer in the early competition.
37. John O'Brien reached Wesley Verhoek with his pass. This pass for its part on the Daniël risen file nature, which removes but strands on aim to Arno van Zwam. The Hague attack resulted in a corner shot.
40 After a corner shot, John O'Brien headed the ball directly to Bredase.
65. Jan-Paul Saeijs hit the ball right to Bredase after a free kick of John O'Brien.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma dec 05, 2005 8:59 am

This is in today's Algemeen Dagblad...
John O'Brien to return to America

John O'Brien will fly to the United States next week, for rehab in Los Angeles. The American has been suffering from a groin injury for many weeks. Last season O'Brien handed in his contract in Ajax, so that he could move to L.A. for treatment of his chronic muscular injuries at the Home Depot Center. "At the end of this month our doctors will be in touch with their American colleagues and then we will decide whether or not John can go on training camp with us," said ADO Den Haag head-coach Frans Adelaar. Den Haag will go on training camp in Turkey from January 3 to 10. O'Brien, who was out with a hip injury earlier this season, saw action in only three matches for ADO Den Haag.
That doesn't sound good, to be honest... In L.A. he had his 'big battle for eternal fitness', but it sounds like the same old problems are back...

K.
Still alive...

Gesloten