General Football Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

arizonaajax
Contacteer:

Re: General Football Discussion

Bericht door arizonaajax » di jan 25, 2011 7:38 am

aveslacker schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef:Wow, I didn't even know you live in Qatar these days...

You like it?

K.
I do. It's a very complex and - culturally - fascinating place. I would hate to be a single man here, but for those with a family, it's a nice place.

But I can't honestly say they deserved to win the rights to host the 2022 WC.
Single and with as much tattoo work as I have, even though I am quite the nice guy, I assume I would be SOL over there. :laughing.gif:

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di jan 25, 2011 9:49 am

arizonaajax schreef:
aveslacker schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef:Wow, I didn't even know you live in Qatar these days...

You like it?

K.
I do. It's a very complex and - culturally - fascinating place. I would hate to be a single man here, but for those with a family, it's a nice place.

But I can't honestly say they deserved to win the rights to host the 2022 WC.
Single and with as much tattoo work as I have, even though I am quite the nice guy, I assume I would be SOL over there. :laughing.gif:
Meh, I don't think you'd do too badly over here. You could go days without meeting a local as only about 15% of the people living here are actually Qataris.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di jan 25, 2011 6:22 pm

Anyone want to apply for a commentary job with Sky Sports? They have a vacancy as Andy Gray has just been sacked. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9373280.stm

I don't have any sympathy personally, pre-historic views and anyone in a "normal" job would also be sacked for this sort of thing.

Changing the subject dramatically, hope everyone's supporting the 'Pool against Man United today - li
  • e on ESPN later so I'll certainly be watching :headbang.gif: :headbang.gif: :headbang.gif:
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di jan 25, 2011 6:59 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:Anyone want to apply for a commentary job with Sky Sports? They have a vacancy as Andy Gray has just been sacked. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9373280.stm

I don't have any sympathy personally, pre-historic views and anyone in a "normal" job would also be sacked for this sort of thing.
The only Sky Sports personality that has ever intrigued me is Natalie Sawyer!
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » zo jan 30, 2011 7:00 am

I watched the final of the Asian Cup last night. It was a cracker of a match. My condolences to our Australian friends. You guys probably should have won, and if your finishing was any better, you would be champs right now.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr feb 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Short piece by Ernst Bouwes on underage movement of players: http://totalfootballnl.blogspot.com/201 ... l?spref=tw Main focus is on Nacer Barazite who moved to Arsenal at age 16 and after not even making the match day squad at Vitesse is off to Austria to see if he can play there. Cautionary tale that should be read by all young aspiring footballers.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr feb 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Yes I was aware of Barazite not even being good enough for Vitesse. I would not advise any young kid to go to England and the big clubs as the failure rate is very high . Arsenal have ex AZ youth Ozyakup aged 18 in his 3rd season but he still plays at youth level and this season has started to played some reserve games. He looks another Barazite. Before Barazite there was Owusu Abeye ,ex Ajax , he never made it either.

Chelsea have given first team games to Bruma and V Aanholt this season when they had injuries to their defence but Chelsea are now buying again and I would not put money on these 2 making it at Chelsea. V Aanholt is on loan at Leicester in the championship for the rest of this season and Bruma is heading there also .

Arsenal and Chelsea are buying the parents of these players and Man u did likewise last summer with our kid V Velzen. This is what should be stopped by UEFA .

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr feb 04, 2011 8:33 pm

SPL schreef: Chelsea have given first team games to Bruma and V Aanholt this season when they had injuries to their defence but Chelsea are now buying again and I would not put money on these 2 making it at Chelsea. V Aanholt is on loan at Leicester in the championship for the rest of this season and Bruma is heading there also .
Chelsea screwed up the Bruma loan by not forwarding the paperwork on time to the FA. With the purchase of Luiz from Benfica, Bruma is odd man out now. Too bad as he looks promising for the Dutch NT.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr feb 04, 2011 11:07 pm

Loan market opens again next week Premiership clubs can loan players to lower leagues only . I did read Leicester will go for Bruma again .

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » za feb 05, 2011 9:37 pm

we just got closer to the top!!!! den haag got the victory in eindhoven!!!! :biggrin.gif:
May the Force be with you

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za feb 05, 2011 10:20 pm

Unpredictable games in the EPL today Arsenal went to Newcastle and were 4-0 up but ended up 4-4.
Man U were playing bottom team and of course they have not lost any game this season but biggest shock of the season Wolves won 2-1.

Bad news for SE6 Blackpool are now only about 4 points off the bottom and I think they are going to have a hard run in . I hope they stay up

paladinby
Contacteer:

Bericht door paladinby » wo feb 09, 2011 10:16 pm

Just finished watching Denmark-England friendly game. Our boy Eriksen played very well, got an assist, hit the post (unlucky on this) and played a perfect ball for Rommedahl (who failed to convert the chance). Eriksen looked much more confident and if he continues playing this way our chances for winning Eredivisie and Europa League will definately rise.

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » do feb 10, 2011 12:00 am

Super goal by our old pal Wesley Sneijder.... Worth taking a look
May the Force be with you

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » do feb 10, 2011 1:17 am

Not sure if Torres is any closer to forgiveness since last week but I thought this Redman webcast is just very funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na69ehOo ... r_embedded#

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do feb 10, 2011 9:21 am

paladinby schreef:Just finished watching Denmark-England friendly game. Our boy Eriksen played very well, got an assist, hit the post (unlucky on this) and played a perfect ball for Rommedahl (who failed to convert the chance). Eriksen looked much more confident and if he continues playing this way our chances for winning Eredivisie and Europa League will definately rise.
As are the chances we will lose him this summer...
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do feb 10, 2011 12:10 pm

The boy was MOM and my paper is full of him saying Eriksen is an Ajax player from tip to graceful toes and asks ,"what is it about Ajax that they so shrewdly identify these teenagers from around Europe ,the ones with the precocious talent and speed of thought that sets them apart from their peers". Flowery words but most of our talent has been local .

He played very well against a moderate England team in a meaningless friendly but I do not think he is phsyically ready for the EPL . He has said that he is not ready for the big leagues yet and wants to stay at Ajax to continue and develop . I can see Man City , Chelsea both wanting him and Man U also ,
but he would just sit on the benchs there. Hopefully he knows this and stays with us for another couple of years .

Liverpool and Milan have both been rumoured to offer 12m euros this summer well I would say his current price would be 20m minimum and dear old Arsenal , who have been looking at him since he was 16,will just keep on looking .

Hopefully we can keep him for at least 3 years and then send him off to Barcelona for about 50m .

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do feb 10, 2011 1:49 pm

If you look at the matches he has started for us since de Boer came on board, Eriksen has been inconsistent. He still tries to force the ball, either by a pass or by dribbling, into a crowded situation. I suspect that this will change as he gains more experience. I agree with SPL that a fine game against England doesn't really count for much these days and that his development here at Ajax is key to his future as a top flight player. I didn't get a chance to watch the Denmark/England match yesterday so I didn't see what his position was with the Danish NT. Furthermore, it appears that he has a good head on his shoulders and realizes that if he moves abroad right now he's not going to see much first team football. He does have the potential to be a fine attacking midfielder with creative flair (thank goodness for de Boer putting him in the first team lineup; one only wonders what would have happened if Jol was still here).

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do feb 10, 2011 2:05 pm

The Deloitte Money League 2011 report is available here: http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GB/uk/i ... /index.htm. No surprise that Ajax did not make the top 20; Madrid and Barca are 1&2 followed by ManU.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do feb 10, 2011 2:52 pm

Position
(prior year
position) Club Revenue (£m) Revenue (€m)
1 (1) Real Madrid 341.9 401.4
2 (3) FC Barcelona 311.7 365.9
3 (2) Manchester United 278.5 327.0
4 (4) Bayern Munich 246.6 289.5
5 (6) Arsenal 224.0 263.0
6 (5) Chelsea 206.4 242.3
7 (8) Liverpool 184.8 217.0
8 (11) Juventus 173.1 203.2
9 (10) Internazionale 167.4 196.5
10 (7) AC Milan 167.4 196.5
11 (15) Hamburger SV 124.9 146.7
12 (9) AS Roma 124.7 146.4
13 (12) Olympique Lyonnais 118.9 139.6
14 (16) Olympique de Marseille 113.5 133.2
15 (14) Tottenham Hotspur 113.0 132.7
16 (13) Schalke 04 106.0 124.5
17 (n/a) Werder Bremen 97.7 114.7
18 (20) Borussia Dortmund 88.1 103.5
19 (n/a) Manchester City 87.0 102.2
20 (17) Newcastle United 86.0 101.0
Appie, stay strong !

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr feb 11, 2011 3:10 pm

Just read a thingy about a battle between West Ham and Tottenham: they both want to play the new Olympic Stadium...

That is beyond me. If you have a fantastic home ground like Upton Park or White Hart Lane, why in the name of Christ would you want to play a horrible UFO with a running track around the pitch...?

The club that loses this battle really is the winner, in my opinion.

K.
Still alive...

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr feb 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Just read a thingy about a battle between West Ham and Tottenham: they both want to play the new Olympic Stadium...

That is beyond me. If you have a fantastic home ground like Upton Park or White Hart Lane, why in the name of Christ would you want to play a horrible UFO with a running track around the pitch...?

K.
The plans are to modify the stadium after the Olympic Games and make if football friendly. I assume that means getting rid of the running track. The other big benefit is increased seating capacity. Because of the large number of matches that English teams play (they have two cup competitions), match day income is a big part of the financial bottom line.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr feb 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Orange14 schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef:Just read a thingy about a battle between West Ham and Tottenham: they both want to play the new Olympic Stadium...

K.
The plans are to modify the stadium after the Olympic Games and make if football friendly. I assume that means getting rid of the running track. The other big benefit is increased seating capacity. Because of the large number of matches that English teams play (they have two cup competitions), match day income is a big part of the financial bottom line.
My understanding:
"Football friendly" = PR bollox.
Running track to stay, and athletics events will occur there.
Motivation for move = money (increased capacity/revenue potential for selling the club).
Victims = Orient (the 130 year old club who are in that part of London) will suffer enormously.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » vr feb 11, 2011 9:51 pm

Manneken Pis schreef:
Orange14 schreef:

K.
My understanding:
Motivation for move = money (increased capacity/revenue potential for selling the club).
Victims = Orient (the 130 year old club who are in that part of London) will suffer enormously.
Further Victim is also Crystal Palace who would have got a new stadium in Crystal Palace if Spurs had won the race for the stadium.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » vr feb 11, 2011 9:52 pm

Manneken Pis schreef:
Orange14 schreef:

K.
My understanding:
Further Victim is also Crystal Palace who would have got a new stadium in Crystal Palace if Spurs had won the race for the stadium.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » za feb 12, 2011 1:04 am

Over Pasanens Head schreef: Further Victim is also Crystal Palace who would have got a new stadium in Crystal Palace if Spurs had won the race for the stadium.
Actually not according to this.http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 395175.stm

Tottenham's bid involved demolishing the stadium including the running track and redeveloping Crystal Palace athletic stadium but with the running track staying in place at Stratford there's not such a need for the athletic stadium to stay which favours Palace.

Ko has probably guessed this but one reason for West Ham certainly wanting to move is money. They get the Olympic stadium at a bargain price including contribution from local government funds, then get to sell Upton Park for housing and then (the West Ham owners) potentially get to sell the whole thing a few years down the line at a massive profit (from what they paid earlier this year) with a brand new ground etc.

Totally agree re the Leyton Orient situation btw but as usual money (read Premier League) talks and they have been more or less forgotton though the Tottenham/West Ham story has been all over the press for weeks.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Plaats reactie