Grab Bag Of Random Posts

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

bluedaddy19
Contacteer:

Re: Good quote from a match report

Bericht door bluedaddy19 » zo apr 17, 2005 11:50 am

Carcajou schreef: That Robin Van Persie sure is a really good player. He can be Arsenal's next Dennis Bergkamp in the years to come.

please do NOT say that! UGH!
AJAX HUP ROOD WITTE SCHARE, DAPP RE STRIJDERS FIER EN KOEN
GEEN CLUB DIE ONS KAN EVENAREN, ROOD EN WIT WORDT KAMPIOEN

carcajou

Re: Good quote from a match report

Bericht door carcajou » zo apr 17, 2005 5:48 pm

bluedaddy19 schreef:
Carcajou schreef: That Robin Van Persie sure is a really good player. He can be Arsenal's next Dennis Bergkamp in the years to come.

please do NOT say that! UGH!
He's good and you know that. You all know that.
meh :|

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » zo apr 17, 2005 7:02 pm

Not denying RvPussie is good; but I'd sooner die than call him the next Dennis Bergkamp. Dennis the Menace=:worshippy:. RvPussie = :pukey: .
Laatst gewijzigd door Blind3 op zo apr 17, 2005 7:03 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

fc utreg

Bericht door fc utreg » zo apr 17, 2005 7:03 pm

van persie is fit :blush:

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » zo apr 17, 2005 7:59 pm

Blind3 schreef:Not denying RvPussie is good; but I'd sooner die than call him the next Dennis Bergkamp. Dennis the Menace=:worshippy:. RvPussie = :pukey: .
Let me correct that one :

I said Van Persie could be ARSENAL's next Dennis Bergkamp. No way he can achieve in ten lives what Dennis did in his career. But I think he can prove to be an excellent and key player for the Gunners in the years to come.

bluedaddy19
Contacteer:

Bericht door bluedaddy19 » zo apr 17, 2005 8:10 pm

Carcajou schreef: Let me correct that one :

I said Van Persie could be ARSENAL's next Dennis Bergkamp. No way he can achieve in ten lives what Dennis did in his career. But I think he can prove to be an excellent and key player for the Gunners in the years to come.

i don't care, van pursesnatcher does not deserve to have his name mentioned in the same sentence as

lord dennis

it's a matter of class
AJAX HUP ROOD WITTE SCHARE, DAPP RE STRIJDERS FIER EN KOEN
GEEN CLUB DIE ONS KAN EVENAREN, ROOD EN WIT WORDT KAMPIOEN

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do apr 21, 2005 6:34 pm

This link is really funny

http://members.home.nl/saen/Special/zoeken.html

enjoy... :D :D
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » zo apr 24, 2005 11:05 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:This link is really funny

http://members.home.nl/saen/Special/zoeken.html

enjoy... :D :D
Dicky's been fired at Moenchengladbach. Which team is he going to lead to Hell now ?

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di apr 26, 2005 7:15 pm

Guess I'll just have to plot my next trip to Amsterdam for a month other than September. Just got the word this morning that Pearl Jam will be playing a 15 date Canadian tour , beginning September 2nd in Vancouver and proceeding eastward before finishing In St. John's ,Newfoundland ,on 9/24.YAHOO!!! :headbang: :bis:( Ajax Talk's answer to the Pearl Jam Stickman).
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

ajaxusa
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » di apr 26, 2005 8:52 pm

Unrelated Ajax Link of the Day:

"AJAX" . . . THE WOODBURNING, STEAM-POWERED TRUCK

My favorite pull-quote, which in a way sums up this lame season...

"You can assemble your own Ajax from recycled Detroit iron for under five hundred inflated bucks . . . as long as you have access to welding equipment, cutting torches, a grinder, and a drill press."

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di apr 26, 2005 9:06 pm

....If you search Ajax on Ebay, it's also a ye olde steam locomotive from Austria......either way, just about sums up the season really.....

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo apr 27, 2005 12:14 pm

Blind3 schreef:Guess I'll just have to plot my next trip to Amsterdam for a month other than September. Just got the word this morning that Pearl Jam will be playing a 15 date Canadian tour , beginning September 2nd in Vancouver and proceeding eastward before finishing In St. John's ,Newfoundland ,on 9/24.YAHOO!!! :headbang: :bis:( Ajax Talk's answer to the Pearl Jam Stickman).
I used to be a HUGE PJ fan however I really think they should have quit about 3 albums ago. The last studio album was just plain boring. Pity. But they do still go totally off live so you still gotta love 'em for that!

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » wo apr 27, 2005 4:30 pm

You didn't hear anything about a European tour, Blind?

I've been on the look out for that for a while but there seems to be silence when it comes to Europe and PJ.

This summer I will be watching:

- Audioslave (just for the chance of them covering Seven Nation Army again...their version rips Jack White's head off!)

- Pop Dakar festival, Swedish upandcommers...among which "Bring the fucking riot...man" are playing. Good name, ok band.

- Ane Brun

- Anna Ternheim

That's what I've got so far. I was thinking about Bruce but the ticket thing was too much of a hassle.
Why do you build me up? BUTTERCUP!

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » do apr 28, 2005 1:44 am

No hard, fast info for Europe that I know of.I spoke to Mike McCready last month , 3/18, in Seattle.He didn't have any hard or fast info, or wasn't saying, despite being asked by 4 of us about tours of Europe and the US.
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » do apr 28, 2005 10:39 am

Blind3 schreef:No hard, fast info for Europe that I know of.I spoke to Mike McCready last month , 3/18, in Seattle.He didn't have any hard or fast info, or wasn't saying, despite being asked by 4 of us about tours of Europe and the US.
Oh, that's what I call having inside news. Met him at a concert?

I only saw PJ once and they had an amazing gig. Many songs, almost all the favourites and a lot of mates along for the beers, buzz and laghter. Afterwards we saw semis in the European Championship.

Great night out!

DanK

Bericht door DanK » vr apr 29, 2005 10:57 am

Per schreef:This summer I will be watching:...- Anna Ternheim...
Per, I just got back from Sweden (awesome place by the way) and while there hunted down some local CDs I wouldn't be able to get in Australia. I told the guy in the shop what sort of music I liked (Radiohead, Ryan Adams, Beck, Jeff Buckley, Sigur Ros, Bright Eyes etc). He gave me about 15 Cds to listen to.

Ended up picking Anna Ternheim's CD and was fairly impressed. Great style and voice. I also picked up Tobias Froberg (sounds like a cross b/w Ron Sexsmith and Nick Drake). If this is whats coming out of the Scandinavian music scene at the moment, I am extremely impressed mate...two thumbs up. :xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs:

FYI - Since my return I have also picked up Martha Wainwright selftitled CD and her brothers (Rufus) CD 'Want Two'. If you liked Anna's CD, you might want to give Martha's a listen. Slightly more agro than Anna's but a brilliant listen.

Cheers

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » zo mei 01, 2005 8:14 am

OH HAPPY DAYS!!!!!!

Nottingham Forest are relegated :kloguck: .

I should explain that as a Notts County fan this is a wonderful thing :yes:
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » di mei 03, 2005 12:25 pm

I just heard (you all probably heard it YEARS ago....) Tori Amos' version of "Smells like teen spirit".

X'C the intensity she brings with her piano and voice to that song is just breathtaking. The song is also of course very strongly linked to the time of my real discovery of music and to hear her version sends me down memory lane both once and twice....

If you guys didn't hear it - get it!

Other recommended covers:

Ane Brun - Morning Theft (Jeff Buckley)

Anna Ternheim - Shoreline (Broder Daniel)

Frida Snell - Bullet with butterfly wings (Smashing Pumpkins)

Audioslave - Seven nation army (White Stripes)

Emmylou Harris - waterfall (Jimi Hendrix)

Does anyone have great covers to recommend? One that really does something and brings something to the song?

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mei 03, 2005 12:59 pm

Per schreef:I just heard (you all probably heard it YEARS ago....) Tori Amos' version of "Smells like teen spirit".

X'C the intensity she brings with her piano and voice to that song is just breathtaking. The song is also of course very strongly linked to the time of my real discovery of music and to hear her version sends me down memory lane both once and twice....

If you guys didn't hear it - get it!
To be honest with you... I hate it. I can't stand Tori Amos. I just don't understand it, it's a type of emotion that doesn't move me. In fact, a few years ago I was invited for a radio discussion about this generation of female singer/songwriters (Tori Amos, Amanda Marshall, Fiona Apple, etcetera). I was invited as The Guy Who Hates That Type Of Music, so I decided to provoke a little bit - and at a certain point in the discussion I invented a name for the genre: 'menstruation pop'. I received quite a bit of 'hate mail' from young ladies for that one...

Anyways - I'm allergic. Unfortunately my 'better half' loves it. She's an enormous Tori fan...

Anyways, here are some cover versions that - in my opinion - are better (or of similar quality) than the originals! (official recordings only; not some live cover version)

Woodstock - Crosby Stills Nash & Young (Joni Mitchell)

Got To Get You Into My Life - Cliff Bennett (The Beatles)
(I just love those funky trumpets...)

Whiskey In The Jar - Metallica (Thin Lizzy)

In general: quite a bunch of Dylan tunes are more beautiful in the Byrds versions and the American Recordings cover albums by Johnny Cash (I believe there are four) are outstanding.

Finally, a very obscure recommendation: a group named LMP recorded an impressive project named A Century Of Song: they selected one song from every year of the 2oth century and covered it in a spectacularly different version. I don't remember any precise examples, but you should think along the lines of a heavy metal cover version of a gospel song from 1908 - or an electronic Kraftwerk-like version of a bluesgrass traditional. That sort of stuff. LMP released the whole project as a hand-made, very limited edition box-set (5 cd's, a cd of outtakes, a book and a certificate), which was only sold via their website. I believe 500 copies were made and I ordered one. Truly unique, sometimes very weird, but sometimes of extreme beauty.

K.
Still alive...

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » di mei 03, 2005 1:17 pm

You should always be honest..... :headbang:

I have had no feelings whatsoever (good or bad) towards TOri AMos before today. I still think it's a great cover though.

Menstruation pop...always nice not to be PC 100% of the time, eh :D

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mei 03, 2005 1:30 pm

Per schreef:Menstruation pop...always nice not to be PC 100% of the time, eh :D
Exactly. 50% of the time is my maximum. :D

K.
Still alive...

raymon
Site Admin & AT WC 2014 winner, Toto winner 16/17
Contacteer:

Bericht door raymon » di mei 03, 2005 3:53 pm

Per schreef:I just heard (you all probably heard it YEARS ago....) Tori Amos' version of "Smells like teen spirit".

I simply adore Tori Amos. She released a whole cd with covers if I am correct. I have copies of 'Angie', 'Losing my Religion' and 'Love Song'. She also released a cd called 'Strange Little Girls' with (some) covers.
"De waarheid is een geheel van maatschappelijk geaccepteerde leugens"

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » di mei 03, 2005 4:50 pm

Cover versions I can think of

Tambourine Man by Byrds - superb cover of Dylan song
Hurt by Johnny Cash - Nine Inch Nails cover and greatest video ever
One by Johnny Cash - cover of U2 song and more feeling than Bongo could ever imagine
Hallelujah - Jeff Buckleys cover of the Cohen song
Song to the Siren - This Mortal Coil, cover of Tim Buckley
Head On - Pixies doing the Jesus and Mary Chain
Si Tu Disais and Fallin Rain - hidden cover versions on last Calexico album
Shipbuilding - Suede covered it on NME charity album

These are just a few I can think off

Ko - might be better to start a music thread now ;)
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » di mei 03, 2005 7:35 pm

The simple idea of covers of bands like Nirvana is so simply silly...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di mei 03, 2005 11:45 pm

I'll get cussed for this I'm sure but I did like the Smiths (or Morrissey - can't remember) version of That's Enternightment by the Jam.

Also a French band called Rude Boy System who've covered "It's My Heart" by Mano Negra - In my opinion miles better than the original and I love that song. Album is called "Illegal", compilation of Mano Negra covers - I think you can only get it in France which is a damn shame as it's a great cover album of one of my fave bands.

Other than that, 'A Means To An End' is good, a whole album of Joy Division covers but none in particular stands out.

Plaats reactie