Champions League 2010-2011

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Orange14

Re: Champions League 2010-2011

Bericht door Orange14 » vr sep 03, 2010 12:07 pm

Our rivals in Enschede are charge €93-130 for a package to their home CL matches. They also have a smaller stadium.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

afcajax73
Contacteer:

Bericht door afcajax73 » vr sep 03, 2010 12:46 pm

am i the only one here who thinks that Milans defence is too old for us to not do some damage to? and also Real's too shakey for us not to have a real good go at??

ofey
Contacteer:

Bericht door ofey » vr sep 03, 2010 2:08 pm

jamcocteau schreef:Size of stadium is completely irrelevant in this debate. I mean you can have a 53,000 seater in Ukraine, Russia or Poland but they would obviously not charge the same as standard of living and average monthly wage is far lower than NL. Auxerre are charging far lower for games than we are. Twente are the same.

Ajax basically have screwed their fans over royally for these games. Last time we were in CL I paid Eur 136 for my seasonticket seat for 3 tickets. Now I pay Eur 215 for 3 tickets for same seat.

Much has been written in media and letters of protest have been sent to club by fangroups and nothing has been done.

To date, I believe 8,000 3-match packages have been sold - a sure sign that the fans are not enamoured with what has happened.
Size of stadium I think has everything to do with the debate in my view.
Let me try to illustrate this:
- The point is if you are a member of the board, they don't care if the stadium fills. Your only concern is the revenue you take in.
- Conversely the fans and players want it to be a sell out for the atmosphere European nights can bring. Fans roar their boys on, team gets a lift.

- Now the board have in their "wisdom" worked out that there are a number of die hards and casuals who will pay whatever it takes to get in on nights against Milan and Real in each price bracket of seats.

- In every team's group of supporters, you will through analysis of tickets purchasing behaviour notice how the break down of affluence exists. You might argue that if I sold 10 seats at $10 it would make more than 5 seats at $15. But the price differences here are not $5. It's a much bigger value. So I may only sell 20,000 of the tickets but I'll still hit my revenue level. They may well have worked out the more effluent fans will pay still to come or even bring family for the experience.
Again, they are NOT bothered if they fill the stadium. They're sole concern is to reach their revenue level.
And if they're really lucky, they might still sell out at their higher entry prices.

- Now if you had a bigger stadium, you will have MORE seats and you can then sell tickets at a lower price to still reach that revenue level. That's why stadium size helps the team financially.

The board is attempting to use this very attractive draw in the Champions league and milk it for what it's worth. i suspect that they don't think we'll make it out of group stage and even finish bottom, so they have to milk as best as they can!

If we're still in massive debt after winning the league this season and getting out of the group stages in the Champions League and selling Suarez or Van der Wiel next year, I say we sack the board... .
AJACIED

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr sep 03, 2010 3:46 pm

afcajax73 schreef:am i the only one here who thinks that Milans defence is too old for us to not do some damage to? and also Real's too shakey for us not to have a real good go at??
Not at all; I am in that camp as well. The more critical issue is whether our defense will be up to the task.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » vr sep 03, 2010 3:57 pm

Will agree to diasagree - countries like Germany which are similar to NL in terms of living standards and wages have clubs with similar sized stadia and have not charged their fans what Ajax are charging.

You can hide it anyway you like re stadium size, revenue etc etc but at the end of the day the club has screwed their core supporters - the seasoncard holders.

And the club is not in massive debt, last year they lost Eur 20m for the year, very different to being in debt. They still have a large capital base. Obviously they have to cut costs and maximise revenue to ensure last years loss is not repeated but should those supporters who turn up week in, week out to watch Eredivise games irrespective of the opposition be sacrificed at the big games for the so called more affluent fans. At the end of the day it was board of Ajax who were the cause of the loss last year and not the supporters but with club reaching CL it is the supporters who the club are trying to milk for extra revenue to atone for their own incompetence.

I believe that VAK 410 and various supporters groups will be making protests at forthcoming home games about it and quite rightly so. It appears Ajax are no different to any of the larger clubs throughout Europe who treat fans with utter and complete disdain and maybe it is time for fans to make their feelings known.

I certainly want to be at these games and can quite easily afford what they are asking but that is not the point. The point is that I do not believe that the club can justify at all the prices being asked for a game of football against teams who were not even champions of their respective countries. We keep hearing they are big names but Madrid have done fuck all in Europe for 5 years now and Milan are an ageing team.

This whole episode has left a very sour taste in my mouth and many many people I know with regard to the club. It is all very well going on about revenue maximisation etc but personally I dont like anybody shafting me up the arse and I am afraid I am not willing to bend over and allow Ajax football club to do that. Blind loyalty is one thing but being fucked over is another. And anybody willing to pay over Eur 100 for a single match then good luck to them
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

orange goblin
Contacteer:

Bericht door orange goblin » vr sep 03, 2010 4:04 pm

don't know if it's a reliable source (remember a few weeks ago when they put de ridder in the list with shirt n.19?), but here

http://it.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/ ... index.html

there is apparently the list for the Champions League date septmber, the 3rd (today)
A few funny facts:
1-Evander Sno is in!
2-no trace of keeper Graafland, nor newcomer Deckers: Bizot as 4th
3-Mido has a horrible number 35 (weren't free 22 or 27??)
4- Bodul, that was out in previous stages, is in again. was number 31 in Eredivisie and now has 36, the same Kappelhof on the bench with 45 and now 47 (ok, in this case who the f.ck cares!)
O tempora o mores

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr sep 03, 2010 6:23 pm

jamcocteau schreef:Will agree to diasagree - countries like Germany which are similar to NL in terms of living standards and wages have clubs with similar sized stadia and have not charged their fans what Ajax are charging.

You can hide it anyway you like re stadium size, revenue etc etc but at the end of the day the club has screwed their core supporters - the seasoncard holders.
Do we know what Schalke are charging for their three matches? Equivalent size stadium, I think (but the club is carrying a lot of debt and maybe they are trying to recoup some of it).

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr sep 03, 2010 7:18 pm

afcajax73 schreef:am i the only one here who thinks that Milans defence is too old for us to not do some damage to? and also Real's too shakey for us not to have a real good go at??
I like the way you think. Why not just go for it? The worst that could happen is that we would lose, which most people would expect anyway. Why not be bold and attack?
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

paladinby
Contacteer:

Bericht door paladinby » vr sep 03, 2010 7:41 pm

It is not about Milan's defence, their midfield players are Gattuso, Seedorf, Pirlo, Ambrosini who are past 30. They have signed some strikers, but Milan's keeper, defence and midfiled are nothing special at this moment. I believe we can beat them no matter what those bookmakers, journalists write.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di sep 14, 2010 1:42 pm

Nice article on Milan's 0-2 stunning defeat to Cesena last weekend. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... pe&cc=5901 Offers a solid tactical plan to Jol on how to take them apart. I'm feeling better about our draw at this point since we know what we need to do and just have to go out and execute the plan!

Amol

Bericht door Amol » di sep 14, 2010 8:24 pm

Twente leading Inter 2-1 and also apparently outplaying them. WTF :confused.gif:

Edit: 2-2 now

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » wo sep 29, 2010 8:17 pm

Just tuned to Spurs - Twente. What horrible shirts you guys wear these days. With that black patch over the shoulders. Really hurts the eyes. Shame as I always loved Spurs' outfit. I'll turn it off now and try to catch the away game hoping they wear something different then.

Ajaxfanuk

Bericht door Ajaxfanuk » wo sep 29, 2010 8:58 pm

Its a blue patch, I love it! Van Der Vaart is looking like an excellent purchase I've fallen in love with his play all over again! :D
Wit-rood-wit zit in ons bloed! We zijn de beste en zo goed. Ik spring me hele leven lang, voor: Ajax Amsterdam!

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » wo sep 29, 2010 9:07 pm

The ref @Spurs-Twente has really lost it.....

Rooie

Bericht door Rooie » wo sep 29, 2010 9:18 pm

Terrible referee, doesn't have a clue.

Ajaxfanuk

Bericht door Ajaxfanuk » wo sep 29, 2010 9:26 pm

I'll take it but that third penalty was no where near. Feel a lil sorry for Twente there. Also WTF is with VDV throwing himself at that guy, it was an obviously gonna be a booking and red card...maybe he just really didnt wanna play Inter :P
Laatst gewijzigd door Ajaxfanuk op wo sep 29, 2010 10:09 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Wit-rood-wit zit in ons bloed! We zijn de beste en zo goed. Ik spring me hele leven lang, voor: Ajax Amsterdam!

Monkey Tonk

Bericht door Monkey Tonk » wo sep 29, 2010 9:34 pm

Lost count of the pk's against Twente.

Looks like somebody likes Spurs.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do sep 30, 2010 1:06 pm

Look what is up on Soccernet this AM: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... ue&cc=5901 Forza Ajax!!!!! :blub.gif:

Monkey Tonk

Bericht door Monkey Tonk » do sep 30, 2010 7:31 pm

Orange14 schreef:Look what is up on Soccernet this AM: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... ue&cc=5901 Forza Ajax!!!!! :blub.gif:
It remains an incredible read. Glad people outside Ajax have a good grasp of how special it was. Valdano said it best.

"Ajax are not just the team of the 90s," Valdano said, "they are approaching football utopia. Their concept of the game is exquisite yet they have a physical superiority as well. They are Beauty and the Beast."

*sigh*

afcajax73
Contacteer:

Bericht door afcajax73 » vr okt 01, 2010 2:02 pm

Goal.com is running a competition to win VIP Tickets to the Ajax-Auxerre game. Prize includes tickets for the game, "back stage" entrance, and access to the players tunnel as they enter the pitch before the game.

Cool prize, but own travel to the game must be made.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » di okt 19, 2010 3:54 pm

Nostalgia

Real Madrid - Ajax November 1995- http://en.classics.uefa.com/seasons/52153/

Plaats reactie