Ajax Coaches

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

aveslacker

Re: Ajax Coaches

Bericht door aveslacker » zo mei 17, 2009 5:09 pm

GangstaRiB schreef:
jamie schreef:There are plenty of other options. Tigana, O'Leary, Skibbe, Hitzfeld and the list goes on. My gut feeling says that it will still be Co at the end.
Your gut feeling could be right.

Sources on other messageboards state that Co is still the number one pick and that Co himself is also keen on comming back to Ajax. The only thing that Ajax and Co have to sort out, is the financial settlement with Co. Because Co left FC Porto early, Porto went to court and sued him and Porto did that succesfully. Co had to pay around 1 milion back to them.

So things are starting to clear up. Both Ajax and AZ are after Co. AZ already seeked contact on 30th april, when it became clear that Van Gaal was going to Bayern. I think AZ was earliers than Ajax, but Co wants to return to his homeground.

Co is an "Amsterdammer" and when he became headcoach in the previous period, he was really proud that he had reached that position. When he was fired, it really hurt hem, not only professionaly but also emotional-wise.

All this is very good news, because the pool of potential successors of Van Basten was getting smaller by the minute. I'm glad that Ajax is going 100% for Co. Sure Co will have his weaknesses, but if you look at his track record, he is one of the best coaches that Ajax can get.
Oh please, let this be the case.

I remember a few years ago the OFA presented Co with a gift when Ajax played AZ. Apparently Co was quite touched by the affair. I think he's always wanted to come back to Ajax, but his pride got in the way. Now that Ajax are desperate, he can come back without looking like he has no self-worth.

And that's fine by me.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » zo mei 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Red Bull Salzburg have won the title in Austria.

Right then.

Co, congratulations. Now finish your beer and then sign this, please... that's right, on the dotted line... thank you!

K.
Still alive...

martinkohout

Bericht door martinkohout » zo mei 17, 2009 5:35 pm

GangstaRiB schreef:Both Ajax and AZ are after Co.
Not anymore - thanks, AZ!

Co: Yes, please!!! :blub.gif:
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf." —Robert Bloch

jamie

Bericht door jamie » zo mei 17, 2009 7:17 pm

Koeman is going to coach AZ next year. That actually pleases me. I really can't stand the arrogant guy and its just such wonderful news that he wont end up with us next year.

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » zo mei 17, 2009 7:52 pm

Oh my lord....i thought dick sheringa was smarter than that...Az might be fighting for relegation next year.
BRING IT ON !!!!...

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » ma mei 18, 2009 9:44 am

I'd say Koeman's track record when taking over a "well run machine" is actually pretty good year one (e.g. Ajax and PSV). It's after that when he starts trying to craft it in his own image that the wheels fall off.
I predict one good year with AZ, but then ..........

Just glad he's not coming back to the ArenA.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

jamie

Bericht door jamie » ma mei 18, 2009 1:46 pm

He did really really really mess up at Valencia. He nearly destroyed that club with his poor management and people skills. He does well in a team which is already running well however that is not the case with Ajax at the moment. Although AZ has things on the rail at the moment, I still believe that Koeman will end up destroying a lot of the good work of van Gaal.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » ma mei 18, 2009 2:47 pm

To be fair, wasn't Valencia already a basket case before his arrival?
I recall Sid Lowe's (footballunlimited.com) La Liga reports always mentioned how screwed up that club was long before Koeman's arrival.

I thought he jumped at it because it got him out of Eindhoven when the wheels starting to come off there.

He did do some strange things there though (like having a wall built arround the training ground to keep out the press).

jamie

Bericht door jamie » ma mei 18, 2009 3:39 pm

I think that you are wrong on that one.

Valencia ended the season before Koeman on the fourth spot. They fired Koeman near the end of the next season when Valencia was on the 15th spot and the interim coach was able to finish the season on the 10th spot. This season they ended up in 5th place. So I conclude that Koeman must have really screwed up to do so poorly with Valencia.

2000/2001 - 5th
2001/2002 - 1st
2002/2003 - 5th
2003/2004 - 1st
2004/2005 - 7th
2005/2006 - 3rd
2006/2007 - 4th
2007/2008 - 15th under Koeman (after fired ended up on 10th)
2008/2009 - 5th

Just look at the rankings of the last 10 years and then look at the Koeman season. I think that you can hardly blame it on the team.

martinkohout

Bericht door martinkohout » ma mei 18, 2009 3:41 pm

From the Guardian: "Steve McLaren dismisses talk of Ajax move" (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... wente-ajax)

'... the 48-year-old told AD Sportwereld: "I have not heard a thing from Ajax and I do not have the intention to leave FC Twente."'

No doubt he was speaking... very... slowly... and... clearly. :biggrin.gif:

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » ma mei 18, 2009 4:10 pm

jamie schreef:I think that you are wrong on that one.

Valencia ended the season before Koeman on the fourth spot. They fired Koeman near the end of the next season when Valencia was on the 15th spot and the interim coach was able to finish the season on the 10th spot. This season they ended up in 5th place. So I conclude that Koeman must have really screwed up to do so poorly with Valencia.

2000/2001 - 5th
2001/2002 - 1st
2002/2003 - 5th
2003/2004 - 1st
2004/2005 - 7th
2005/2006 - 3rd
2006/2007 - 4th
2007/2008 - 15th under Koeman (after fired ended up on 10th)
2008/2009 - 5th

Just look at the rankings of the last 10 years and then look at the Koeman season. I think that you can hardly blame it on the team.
Sorry I wasn't being clear, yes he was clearly a failure ... but the club's league performance noted above hides the profound internal issues.

Here a typical quote from Sid Lowe from the week they won the Spanish Cup (and he got fired):

"Koeman has hardly helped himself, but the real culprit is a club that's never at peace; the Dutchman walked into a viper's nest, where sporting directors and coaches are at each other's throats like a bunch of deranged emus; where, with honourable exceptions, fans are never satisfied; where president and shareholders are always at war, creating tension and instability. As Koeman boarded an empty bus on Wednesday night, the club handed out press communiqués saying there would be no formal celebration. No visit to the town council. No open-topped bus. No silly wigs. No offering to the virgin. And no one informing Koeman. Above all, no embracing of the one thing that could have brought the club together, revealing yet again what a miserable, self-destructive institution Valencia has become, one that's about to put a fourth manager in charge. If they go down many will wave goodbye, but many too will wave good riddance."

Here's the full article, nicely showing how Koeman messed up....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008 ... ball.sport

jamie

Bericht door jamie » ma mei 18, 2009 4:12 pm

I am sure that the club has internal problems. Many Spanish teams actually have that. It is just funny to see that other coaches at Valencia were able to perform "well" and that Koeman was the only one that did a really crappy job.

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » ma mei 18, 2009 6:27 pm

What was the position of Valencia when Koeman arrived? I don't remember but I think it wasn't great as I suspect that Valencia didn't fired the previous coach for nothing...
Koeman had to save Valencia, it just got worse (but he still managed to win a trophy). But the club was such a mess that I wouldn't blame him for that (completely).
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

jamie

Bericht door jamie » ma mei 18, 2009 6:41 pm

They were fourth in the league after loosing to Sevilla. Koeman became coach on the 31st of October. Under Koeman the team dropped to 15th position. I think it is fair to say that a large part of the fault can be directed towards Koeman.

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » ma mei 18, 2009 10:33 pm

So when Koeman win something with Ajax it's due to Adriaanse and when he fail with Valencia it's his fault? :hypocrite.gif:
Well, I'm not a fan either anyway, and I'm quite glad that he prefered AZ above Ajax (though it seems he didn't have to make a choice in the end).
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di mei 19, 2009 1:08 am

The best thing Koeman did in Spain was his blinder of a fk in the 92 EC final. Beyond that, Valencia are a financial mess , loan or no loan , and I can't blame RK for that. As long as RK doesn't see the ArenA except as a tourist or visiting coach, I'm satisfied. As for Co, if he's it , I'm behind him . No knife in tow.

Honestly, if Satan could win the shield for us, I'd support him too.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

jamie

Bericht door jamie » wo mei 20, 2009 9:20 am

There are more and more rumors circulating in the media that Ajax is about to sign Morten Olsen. It seems that Ajax will need to negotiate some type of deal with the Danish national football organization.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo mei 20, 2009 10:01 am

John van 't Schip en Shota Arveladze zouden bij Ajax Morten Olsen, de mogelijke opvolger van Marco van Basten, moeten assisteren. Arveladze was afgelopen seizoen de rechterhand van Louis van Gaal bij AZ en speelde in het seizoen 1997/98 bij Ajax onder Olsen.

seems like a pretty good combination to me :biggthumpup.gif:
Appie, stay strong !

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mei 20, 2009 11:38 am

Olsen would be an very good choice. I support that.

K.
Still alive...

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo mei 20, 2009 11:47 am

Kowalczyk schreef:Olsen would be an very good choice. I support that.

K.
Ditto.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo mei 20, 2009 3:49 pm

DanK schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef:Olsen would be an very good choice. I support that.

K.
Ditto.
Ditto ditto.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » wo mei 20, 2009 9:26 pm

i'll join the fun :blub.gif: ditto ditto ditto
BRING IT ON !!!!...

acab

Bericht door acab » wo mei 20, 2009 11:37 pm

Olsen?
No,no,no, please....
no ditto :smallgrin.gif:

martinkohout

Bericht door martinkohout » do mei 21, 2009 12:31 am

acab schreef:Olsen?
No,no,no, please....
no ditto :smallgrin.gif:
Er... forgive my ignorance, but why not?

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » do mei 21, 2009 1:00 pm

Rumour has it that apparently Olsen will be presented tomorrow. He's finalising the deal today with Søren Lerby.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

Plaats reactie