'The Boss': Marco van Basten

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

bryan

Re: 'The Boss': Marco van Basten

Bericht door bryan » wo mei 06, 2009 4:45 pm

Yeah, it takes guts to admit you are not up to the job. And it takes honesty to quit a management post at a football club. He had a contract for three more years. He could have hung around and waited to get paid off, but instead he quits himself and saves Ajax a load of money. Respect.

Hopefully he'll have learned a thing or two during his time here and will take it to his next job with him. Perhaps he can learn the ropes at a smaller club or as somebody's assistant at a very large club. Who knows, we might see him back at Ajax in the future when he's become a seasoned manager...

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo mei 06, 2009 5:04 pm

it feels like the club failed to support him and wasted him,...... 11 coaches in 12 years .... :frusty.gif: :frusty.gif: :frusty.gif:
Appie, stay strong !

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo mei 06, 2009 5:18 pm

I still think the players are as responsible for this utter shit as van Basten. About time these so called stars realised they are nothing until they win something, pulled their finger out of their backsides, and start playing with motivation like they showed for only a few games this season.

Anyway...and onto the next season of rebuilding. What is that, about 8 or 9 years in a row now.

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mei 06, 2009 6:01 pm

Over Pasanens Head schreef:Quote from Ajax.nl:-

"He cites as the main reason that he has come to the conclusion that he has not achieved his goals and that he does not have the feeling that he is capable of improving next season."

Give the guy respect for honesty.
The press conference was unbelievable. Here's what he said (as quoted on NOS Teletekst): "I do not have the qualities to make this a better squad next season. It's got to do with me. I looked into the mirror and I did not see a person who can lift this club and these players to a higher level. I do not have what it takes to be head-coach of Ajax."

F*cking hell. He really said it. Just like that.

I don't think he'll ever coach again. This is the end of his career as a manager. He has given it a try, but it didn't work.

K.
Still alive...

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » wo mei 06, 2009 6:41 pm

I agree, I don't think he's going to coach again, at least not for a long while.

Here's what I don't get (and also I guess why I'm glad he stepped down if that makes any sense); he gave up.

When most people don't reach their goals, they you know, keep trying if they don't succeed and still try to reach the goal. Van Basten just gave up and I think that in itself shows he isn't the right person to lead. I don't want a leader who is going to give up when things don't go his way, and I think that might be symptomatic of this years squad.

I am glad he's honest about it and isn't making things worse by sticking around, however looking back now, he should haven't ever been hired in the first place. Another wasted year.
AFCA

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo mei 06, 2009 6:55 pm

gordonvandekamp schreef: I am glad he's honest about it and isn't making things worse by sticking around, however looking back now, he should haven't ever been hired in the first place. Another wasted year.
Very true. When you apply for a position in any job, you are assessed on your ability to work within the role. Surely this would have come through in an interview. There must have been areas where his inability to work in certain areas was showing???

Well hopefully we can get someone in the role soon, get rid of the crap and start this process over again (for real this time).

michaelajaxfan
AT Toto winner 05/06

Bericht door michaelajaxfan » wo mei 06, 2009 7:11 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:The press conference was unbelievable. Here's what he said (as quoted on NOS Teletekst): "I do not have the qualities to make this a better squad next season. It's got to do with me. I looked into the mirror and I did not see a person who can lift this club and these players to a higher level. I do not have what it takes to be head-coach of Ajax."

F*cking hell. He really said it. Just like that.

K.
You've got to be quite a personality to say such things, when you happen to be Marco van Basten. If someone like Adrie Koster would have said this, that normal person would have made himself look like a complete moron. It's quite a shame that Van Basten wasn't a good manager at all, because he wasted the myth he used to be as a player and personality.
I think he would do a good job with players who are as brilliant as he is. I'm sure Marco knows quite a lot about football, but that alone is not sufficient for an Ajax-coach. He wasn't a peoples-manager, because he just can not identify himself with modest players. Hopefully he'll get the chance to take revanche in Milan; I'm sure they still love him.
As for Ajax: please don't make the same mistake and choose someone who has not necessarily been a great player, but rather has proven to be a great manager. I'm afraid, however, that also Ajax has wasted the myth it had transformed in once, and managers that fit the description won't feel like coming to Amsterdam.

bryan

Bericht door bryan » wo mei 06, 2009 7:22 pm

Pity Roy Keane only just got appointed at Ipswich.

If ever there was a manager who would scare the shit out of this squad of players, it would be him.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo mei 06, 2009 7:25 pm

bryan schreef:Pity Roy Keane only just got appointed at Ipswich.

If ever there was a manager who would scare the shit out of this squad of players, it would be him.
Now that would be a great wake up for these guys who just think showing up is doing their job...

bryan

Bericht door bryan » wo mei 06, 2009 7:27 pm

I don't think he'd like Ajax though. He says the reason he chose Ipswich was because they had a stable board who leave the manager in peace. Compare that to the Ajax board of directors.

I don't think many managers would want to manage Ajax.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo mei 06, 2009 8:03 pm

Just come in and read all your comments. A very honest man to admit he is not up to the job but he did say he had doubts back in Jan Feb when results went wrong. He could well be like Rijkaard, who was poor at Sparta but at Barca with a big named squad was ok .

The club has nil stability changing 5 coaches since Koeman went just over 4years ago.

Who they turn to now goodness knows will they bring Co back or turn to a non Dutchman. Cannot believe we will get an ex Ajax man. Frank de Boer and Bergkamp have only just started coaching and Rijkaard will say no. Jol will not be interested as he is wanting to return to England.Foppe de Haan like Co would only be short term for a couple of years. They have to make the right decison this time as this club cannot drift on finishing 2nd and 3rd every season.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » wo mei 06, 2009 8:32 pm

If only the players were as honest about their shite performances as their now former coach.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo mei 06, 2009 8:49 pm

So be it. So long Marco !

A few players should be sacked now.
Appie, stay strong !

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do mei 07, 2009 12:36 am

Away on business for two days and the prediction comes true, he did resign. A couple of late observations. We know that he didn't do much of a job with the national team and was blessed with superior talent in both the WC and Euro competition. He was able to adapt by bringing Van Nistleroij back to the team for the Euros and switching to a 4-2-3-1 which played some dynamite football only to run into a Russian team that was a shade better (and better rested as the Russians were not coming off a lengthy European club season as were the Oranje). That was enough to give me some hope for the season. Unfortunately, MVB was not able to manage things at the club level for a number of reasons. I think reason number one is that football came easy to him as a player. He was so outstanding and relflexive that he assumed that his squad would naturally understand what to do under all the various match circumstances (which as we know was not the case). Secondly, for whatever reason he was not able to motivate the players. He spoke after the Sparta match of the players being scared. Probably so, but this is the manager's job #1, to get them to play with confidence. Some matches he did but the fact that the team dropped points to teams in the lower half of the table is indicative a manager's failings; not the players. Third, I wonder if he really had a clue about matchday player choices. We saw numerous examples of strange picks and substitutions.

On the postive side, he did make the tough choice to stay with Vermeer when Stek returned to health. He also figured out pretty quickly which players were excess baggage and either loaned them out or made it known that they didn't have a future with the club. He was a victim of the current economic realities of football, maximizing the value he was able to get for Huntelaar (who once again is langishing on the Madrid becnh. there are some good talented young players both on the first team and coming up through the ranks. there are some funds for getting some new players in. the team has finished third in the past and come back strong. I think with the right manager it will happen sooner than many of us think.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

martinkohout

Bericht door martinkohout » do mei 07, 2009 2:47 am

Orange14 schreef:the fact that the team dropped points to teams in the lower half of the table is indicative a manager's failings; not the players.
You may or may not be right in this case, but I don't agree that that's always true. The manager isn't the one out there kicking the ball, and while he obviously has to prepare his players, they have to go out there and get the job done. Of course, if he's "lost the room," as the saying goes, it's all over. Unfortunately, we all know that sometimes the manager has to take the fall even when it's not (only) his fault, because it's easier to get rid of one manager than a bunch (or all) of the players.
Orange14 schreef:I think with the right manager it will happen sooner than many of us think.
Man, I hope you're right! :blub.gif:
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf." —Robert Bloch

jamie

Bericht door jamie » do mei 07, 2009 4:24 am

Orange14 schreef: On the postive side, he did make the tough choice to stay with Vermeer when Stek returned to health. He also figured out pretty quickly which players were excess baggage and either loaned them out or made it known that they didn't have a future with the club.
Great post however some of the points which you make are not entirely valid.

1) Once Steek got back to health he did in fact play for a number of games. MVB however had not faith in Steek after some mistakes and he put Vermeer back in the goal who in turn made even more mistakes.

2) Many of the players that were excess luggage according to MVB ended up playing for the team and some even became a starter. (Anita) He let Perez go for example and the guy had an excellent season at Twente and he was exactly the type of player that we seemed to lack all season.

jamie

Bericht door jamie » do mei 07, 2009 4:25 am

jamie schreef:
Orange14 schreef: On the postive side, he did make the tough choice to stay with Vermeer when Stek returned to health. He also figured out pretty quickly which players were excess baggage and either loaned them out or made it known that they didn't have a future with the club.
Great post however some of the points which you make are not entirely valid.

1) Once Steek got back to health he did in fact play a number of games. MVB however had no faith in Steek after some mistakes and he put Vermeer back in the goal who in turn made even more mistakes.

2) Many of the players that were excess luggage according to MVB ended up playing for the team and some even became a starter. (Anita) He let Perez go for example and the guy had an excellent season at Twente and he was exactly the type of player that we seemed to lack all season.

ozzerdibazio
Contacteer:

Bericht door ozzerdibazio » do mei 07, 2009 7:53 am

Steve Mclaren should be considered for the the vacancy at Ajax. He would bring something new. He has no prior connections with the club, and has proved himself at FC Twente this season.

But the best guy would be v.Gaal; without a shadow of doubt Ajax would not be in this mess if he would have had control earlier.

If not him then Mclaren, or Frank Rijkaard.

On Rijkaard: I am a bit suprisesd that he is getting knocked by some people as a coach who can only win with stars. If you win the Champions League - stars or no stars - you are a good coach. He also won - I think - two La Ligas, and spent over three years at the club. Barcelona also played wonderful football under Rijkaard, and I also liked the Holland team he coached at Euro 2000. Unlucky not to be in the final.

But obvioulsy he is not good enough; he should have won the Eredivisie with Sparta Rotterdam and scored six goals a game.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » do mei 07, 2009 8:55 am

No I think the point is, without the players, he didn't achieve. The Dutch team coached themselves, and Barca are Barca. It is different to manage a team of stars, than a team of duds. Guess which one Ajax currently falls under?

He might be OK (at least he has the experience). But I think its a huge risk after the last few years.

Regardless, if he is appointed. He will have my full support as did van Basten. Lets hope the outcome will be better however.

Michael_B

Bericht door Michael_B » do mei 07, 2009 9:48 am

ozzerdibazio schreef:Steve Mclaren should be considered for the the vacancy at Ajax. He would bring something new. He has no prior connections with the club, and has proved himself at FC Twente this season.

But the best guy would be v.Gaal; without a shadow of doubt Ajax would not be in this mess if he would have had control earlier.

If not him then Mclaren, or Frank Rijkaard.

On Rijkaard: I am a bit suprisesd that he is getting knocked by some people as a coach who can only win with stars. If you win the Champions League - stars or no stars - you are a good coach. He also won - I think - two La Ligas, and spent over three years at the club. Barcelona also played wonderful football under Rijkaard, and I also liked the Holland team he coached at Euro 2000. Unlucky not to be in the final.

But obvioulsy he is not good enough; he should have won the Eredivisie with Sparta Rotterdam and scored six goals a game.
Do you read what you post? You are only talking about his success at Barcelona, but nobody denies that. His success there was due to a fantastic team. When he has to teach players how to walk when and where (like at Sparta) he fails miserably. He didn't just fail, he RELEGATED.
Face your fears and live your dreams, No Fear

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do mei 07, 2009 10:00 am

De Dominee schreef:Do you read what you post?
Please don't react so aggressively, as if he's writing something really stupid. What he's saying is not as simplistic as you make it sound: "If you win the Champions League - stars or no stars - you are a good coach. He also won - I think - two La Ligas, and spent over three years at the club."

I might add that Barcelona were total shit in the years before Rijkaard's arrival.

You are free to disagree with Ozzerdibazio (I don't want Rijkaard myself, for that matter), but don't react in this "do you read what you post?" kind of way... Be respectful.

K.
Still alive...

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do mei 07, 2009 10:38 am

It seems that when the discussion comes to the coach issue, some people tend to be agressive. :rules.gif:
Appie, stay strong !

Michael_B

Bericht door Michael_B » do mei 07, 2009 10:44 am

Agressive...? Nothing agressive about my post, just honest and straight forward. If somebody is talking complete BS in one and the same post, I think I am free to tell him or her.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do mei 07, 2009 10:54 am

De Dominee schreef:Agressive...? Nothing agressive about my post
Starting a reply with the words "Do you read what you post?" is what I call an aggressive approach of a fellow forum member.
If somebody is talking complete BS in one and the same post, I think I am free to tell him or her.
There we go again: replying to a reasonable opinion by simply stating that this person "is talking complete BS", is what I call aggressive and disrespectful. It's against my code of conduct for the English Zones, anyway - and that's the end of it.

All Ozzerdibazio is saying is that he doesn't understand why certain people are so negative about Frank Rijkaard. He feels that a coach who won the Champions League can never be a bad coach. He also says Barcelona played great football and he states that it also says something about Rijkaard's qualities that he lasted for three years.

Perfectly reasonable statements. You are free to disagree with them - and express your own opinions. But don't jump down someone's throat like you did. "Do you read what you post?" and "he's talking complete BS" is not a reasonable, respectful reaction. I'm not having that, plain simple.

Back on topic now.

K.
Still alive...

Michael_B

Bericht door Michael_B » do mei 07, 2009 11:04 am

He starts off saying he disagrees with people who say Rijkaard can only perform with class-players. Then he backs this up with saying he did fine at Barcelona... Am I mental or is this not a very valid argument?

Didn't mean to be agressive.

Gesloten