New Players for Ajax

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » vr mar 28, 2008 5:39 pm

Those are both good players and would probably be quality additions to the squad, but how to we actually convince players to leave an Italian club and come to Ajax without them thinking it's a step down?

Unfortunately, I think that's going to be a big hurdle unless the players are old/excess (as Kuffour was at Roma). Money is about the only thing I can think of (possible the lure of working with and learning from a great like van Basten), but I'm not even sure that will be enough. I really hope van Basten can bring in some quality players with some decent (European) experience that will actually be young enough and good enough to play for a few years. I think we've lacked any real quality transfers over the last few years that meet this. Most have been quality players, but inexperienced and from smaller clubs in smaller leagues.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr mar 28, 2008 7:56 pm

gordonvandekamp schreef:Those are both good players and would probably be quality additions to the squad, but how to we actually convince players to leave an Italian club and come to Ajax without them thinking it's a step down?
Good to see Marco showing some ambition. Tiago went to Juve for 13 million euros. I can see Ajax offering about 15 million for him, which I think would be competitive (and only about half of what they got for Sneijder). Not sure if he'd want to go, though, since it is light years from Serie A.

Still, I'm pleased that Marco is putting thought into this. Having coached Oranje all around Europe helps, too: he's seen a pretty wide cross-section of European talent that he might be able to lure to Amsterdam.

I still have my concerns about Marco, but if he can pull off a few good signings, my worries will have eased considerably.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di apr 08, 2008 7:09 pm

Evidently we are looking at taking an Arsenal player on loan. Nacer Barazite
is a midfielder just coming up to 18 and Arsenal stole him from NEC in summer of 2006. He is thought of as a good prospect and played for Arsenal first team in the league cup.

If he were to come for a season it would mean no place for Sarpong or Anita and possibly he may keep De Jong out!!. He would be taking the place of one of those and return to Arsenal after a season.We would get no money out of this and Sarpong and Anita,both young talents will probably not be happy with this and move on.

PS I know I have mentioned Arsenal deals under another thread but the above ie relevent to this as a specific player is mentioned.

If Ajax want to buy Barazite great but to loan him no thanks I would want to see Sarpong and Anita get their chances.

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » wo apr 16, 2008 5:14 pm

According to tribalfootball, we want to buy Oleguer from Barca. I didn't see him playing much (simply because he doesn't play), but for Barca fans which i know, he is joke for a couple last years. I probably didn't hear a one good thing about him. It's like their own Colin actualy

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo apr 16, 2008 8:37 pm

Van basten schreef:According to tribalfootball, we want to buy Oleguer from Barca. I didn't see him playing much (simply because he doesn't play), but for Barca fans which i know, he is joke for a couple last years. I probably didn't hear a one good thing about him. It's like their own Colin actualy
Yes, but it's tribalfootball, not exactly the best source.

I liked the Tiago rumor better. :ajaxsmiley.gif:
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

ajaxperu

Bericht door ajaxperu » zo apr 20, 2008 7:45 pm

according to the spanish newspaper AS, Ajax have bought Darío Cvitanich a forward from Banfield of Argentina. Any news about this?
Heres the link:
http://www.as.com/futbol/articulo/cvita ... sftb_9/Tes
"We knew exactly how Ajax were going to play...but there was no way we were ever going to win"

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di apr 22, 2008 7:43 am

ajaxperu schreef:according to the spanish newspaper AS, Ajax have bought Darío Cvitanich a forward from Banfield of Argentina. Any news about this?
Yes. Banfield are now confirming the deal on their homepage:
http://www.clubabanfield.com.ar/noticia ... .htm#ancla

$11 million. That's 7.5 or 8 million euros, yeah?

That's a pretty big purchase, which - if you ask me - kind of indicates that KJH is on his way out.

K.
Still alive...

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » di apr 22, 2008 8:26 am

30 goals in 85 is not a lot to replace Huntelaar. Still, I like the idea to sign a relatively unknown and young player.

Ajax really like spanish-speaking players those days...
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » di apr 22, 2008 12:27 pm

$11M = €6.9. That's peanuts these days. It won't even buy you half a Ryan Babel.
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » di apr 22, 2008 1:44 pm

Well we had 3 argentinians...in Juan, Gabrich and Rosales..who all flopped it in the end. But hold on lets pause for a minute, Cvitanich has a croatian passport...I dont remember having a croatian playing for Ajax. But hopefully he wont find it hard to get used to the Ajax system, which is the only drawback IMHO. Now we need Seedorf to come back, although its a long shot, since MVB has axed him in the past. We also need a centreback with leadership skills and good distribution. I cant think of any that would want to come to Ajax. :aai.gif:

DanK

Bericht door DanK » di apr 22, 2008 2:08 pm

Ayman schreef:...I dont remember having a croatian playing for Ajax. But hopefully he wont find it hard to get used to the Ajax system...
Ajax has a system???

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » di apr 22, 2008 3:31 pm

Dank said:

Ajax has a system???

Yeah remember, it took Zlatan a year to get used to it, Rosenberg couldnt get the hang of it, so he was switched to the flank. System = Formation

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di apr 22, 2008 3:35 pm

666 schreef:$11M = €6.9. That's peanuts these days. It won't even buy you half a Ryan Babel.
It's 6.4 million euros, according to VI.

Not too terrible.

K.
Still alive...

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » di apr 22, 2008 3:41 pm

Wow! In half a day the dollar dropped another half a million. Down to 1.60 now... If we really bought him for dollars, couldn't we have stretched the deal 'till tomorrow to save another million or two?
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » wo apr 23, 2008 2:04 pm

Ok people listen up...this guy is not a number 9 in any shape or form....its like the rosenberg deal all over again...the guy is young and skilled and can play as a second forward in a 4-4-2 or can play as number 10 (shadow striker) but he is not ! a HUNTELAAR SUBSTITUTE....NO WAY.
BRING IT ON !!!!...

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » do apr 24, 2008 3:16 am

Heh, well I don't know anything about him but from his YouTube videos he looks like a midget...

Pablo.V

Bericht door Pablo.V » za apr 26, 2008 9:04 am

According to the rumors Tottenham have signed Luca Modric for about 20m euros. Well i believe that AJAX have the fonds for this kind of transfer, so why the hell we are not doing anything!!
Why concentrating our mind on another striker(Cvitanich) and not trying to buy a defender and a real playmayker????

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » za apr 26, 2008 11:45 am

Because spending 20 millions on just 1 player is just stupid for a club like Ajax imho (and I guess they share my point of view), and then, even if Ajax wanted, I doubt the guy would choose the Eredivisie instead of the premiership.
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » za apr 26, 2008 3:16 pm

"Because spending 20 millions on just 1 player is just stupid for a club like Ajax..."

Uri Coronel would probably agree with you, sadly.

He appears to be saying that Ajax is no longer a top European club and we shouldn't even try to be consistently in the Top 16. "Realistische doelstellingen" appears to e a euphemism for giving up.

If you are not prepared to spend €20 million on a player these days you are condemning yourself to mediocrity for ever.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » za apr 26, 2008 3:47 pm

The Purple Cow schreef:"Because spending 20 millions on just 1 player is just stupid for a club like Ajax..."

Uri Coronel would probably agree with you, sadly.

He appears to be saying that Ajax is no longer a top European club and we shouldn't even try to be consistently in the Top 16. "Realistische doelstellingen" appears to e a euphemism for giving up.

If you are not prepared to spend €20 million on a player these days you are condemning yourself to mediocrity for ever.
The problem isn't just the €20 million.
It's also the salary that has to be comparable to leagues where clubs have tv contracts (and lower tax rates). In addition, an ambitious player probably wants to evolve and will learn more from playing top level league opposition every week rather than 4 to 6 times a year.

Therefore logically it isn't the purchase price that will stop players of this calibre; it's the other stuff mentioned, which means you have to find them one step earlier in their development process when they can still wait for the big payday and are happy to develop through the Ajax internal coaching system (like Chivu, Zlatan, Litmanen) or through youth development before moving on to a club in a bigger richer league.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » za apr 26, 2008 4:15 pm

The Purple Cow schreef:Uri Coronel would probably agree with you, sadly.

I don't think that's what he was trying to say...

There's nothing wrong with ambition, but why would you always make them explicit. The Fontein management was very explicit about their ambitions (they almost sounded like demands, really): we want to win the Dutch title once in every two seasons on average and we want to be consistently in the top 16 of Europe. By saying that, you're giving the media a "stick to hit the dog with" (Dutch saying). We've learned that the hard way. Fontein said: "We want a championship every other season - and I'll take responsibility for that." Sounds very brave and straight-forward, but in his first season Ajax missed out on the title (on one goal...) - and there were the first annoying questions, practically immediately: so, if you fail to grab the title again next season, you're resigning, right?

Why would you make yourself so vulnerable?

Just keep your mouth shut and win something. It takes a bit of pressure away from the team and you're not giving the media free ammo. Let's not say it, but do it, for a change (yes, I know that's Feyenoord's motto, loosely translated...). I think that's what Uri Coronel was trying to say...

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » za apr 26, 2008 4:30 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
There's nothing wrong with ambition, but why would you always make them explicit. The Fontein management was very explicit about their ambitions (they almost sounded like demands, really): we want to win the Dutch title once in every two seasons on average and we want to be consistently in the top 16 of Europe. By saying that, you're giving the media a "stick to hit the dog with" (Dutch saying).
K.
Have to agree with that...in English btw it's "A rod for your own back" but either way with such explicit demands/expectations we're dooming ourselves to failure.

I think with that 20 million we could buy at least two good players - Huntelaar, Suarez and one or two more accepted we've not exactly done well on "star" signings recently either.....
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » zo apr 27, 2008 5:50 pm

Some sources says that we're interesting in Fernando Llorente from Athletic Bilbao

bryan

Bericht door bryan » zo apr 27, 2008 7:37 pm

Llorente Torres, he was at the 2005 U21 tournament in Holland. I can remember being very impressed by him at the time. Tall and skilled, if I remember correctly. Looking at his stats he hasn't set the world alight since then, but who knows.

It's another centre forward, so that would mean that KJH is definitely going.

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » zo apr 27, 2008 9:21 pm

I agree Bryan, K-J is outta here. I would be if I was him. I wish him well.

"There's nothing wrong with ambition, but why would you always make them explicit."

Because it's really important that everyone in an organization knows what the strategic goals are, and how the organization intends to achieve them. The difference between winning organizations and mediocre ones is often simply ambition.

Plaats reactie