orange goblin
Contacteer:

Samuel Osei Kuffour

Bericht door orange goblin » ma jan 28, 2008 6:24 pm

..it's official now!

http://www.ajax.nl/web/show/id=154417/contentid=65378

http://ajaximages.com/imagebank/flex/im ... ?mode=list

if he's fit, this is a very good move.
not a phenomenon, but a solid rock with experience at top level.
we needed.
O tempora o mores

SE6Ajacied

Re: Samuel Osei Kuffour

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » ma jan 28, 2008 8:30 pm

orange goblin schreef:..it's official now!

http://www.ajax.nl/web/show/id=154417/contentid=65378

http://ajaximages.com/imagebank/flex/im ... ?mode=list

if he's fit, this is a very good move.
not a phenomenon, but a solid rock with experience at top level.
we needed.
This could be a really good move/ Apart from Davids and perhaps Gabri we don't have anyone with real experience in the team these days now Stam has gone.

That ajaximages.com is a great looking site btw - I'd not seen that before but some good pictures on there.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » ma jan 28, 2008 9:40 pm

Given the price, they can be nice... :blush.gif: (It's for professional anyway)
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » ma jan 28, 2008 9:42 pm

The official word from Ajax is that it is a half-year deal with an option for two more years. They also said it's a free transfer (which I guess rules out my question about it being a loan that I had read earlier).

Overall, I wish we could have found some solid young defenders, but I'm much glad with these purchases than nothing at all. I do hope that's what we look for in the summer, though. I think these signings actually give us hope of being competitive for the last half of the season, which I don't think we would be if we hadn't gotten some defensive help. I just hope the new players will live up to expectations.

I think we've actually made some progress during the transfer window that I thought wouldn't happen, so that's pleasing.

Any word on his debut and if he'll be available mid-week?

Jeroen126

Bericht door Jeroen126 » ma jan 28, 2008 10:38 pm

gordonvandekamp schreef:The official word from Ajax is that it is a half-year deal with an option for two more years. They also said it's a free transfer (which I guess rules out my question about it being a loan that I had read earlier).

Overall, I wish we could have found some solid young defenders, but I'm much glad with these purchases than nothing at all. I do hope that's what we look for in the summer, though. I think these signings actually give us hope of being competitive for the last half of the season, which I don't think we would be if we hadn't gotten some defensive help. I just hope the new players will live up to expectations.

I think we've actually made some progress during the transfer window that I thought wouldn't happen, so that's pleasing.

Hasn't played a game since April, so it would surprise me if we see him play in our beautiful strip before mid-Februari. Hope he'll be back sooner though.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » ma jan 28, 2008 11:25 pm

The guy played almost 70 Champions League games during his career, I think his experience will be an asset for Ajax. Too bad he hasn't played professional football in months...
meh :|

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » di jan 29, 2008 12:36 am

Joeska schreef:
gordonvandekamp schreef:The official word from Ajax is that it is a half-year deal with an option for two more years. They also said it's a free transfer (which I guess rules out my question about it being a loan that I had read earlier).

Hasn't played a game since April, so it would surprise me if we see him play in our beautiful strip before mid-Februari. Hope he'll be back sooner though.
Christ i cant say i`m not glad we got this dude but 9 months without playing a full profesional game is a hell of a lot of time.....guess we are going to have to wait and see...
BRING IT ON !!!!...

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » di jan 29, 2008 1:32 am

He has experience, which no one in the back line now (save Heitinga) really has, That's a plus at least if he isn't match fit.

Speculating on my post from the transfer thread. I wonder if the Chivu history had anything to do with Roma's willing transfer. Or they may have just not needed him, as they haven't used him.

I Just hope he can contribute at some point and even better make a real impact.

bryan

Bericht door bryan » di jan 29, 2008 1:09 pm

He'll be right at home amongst our defenders, they haven't played a match in a professional manner in months either.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di jan 29, 2008 3:11 pm

On goal com the agent states he has not yet signed!! This report is dated today.( Given that most stories on there are made up I expect this was a quote from this time yesterday!! ) Ajax have officially announced it so have no idea what the agent is talking about.

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » di jan 29, 2008 3:24 pm

That agent looks like an Italian car salesman. :666.gif: Can't trust those guys.

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » di jan 29, 2008 5:00 pm

bryan schreef:He'll be right at home amongst our defenders, they haven't played a match in a professional manner in months either.

Very good point. :biggrin.gif:

orange goblin
Contacteer:

Bericht door orange goblin » di jan 29, 2008 5:12 pm

On goal com the agent states he has not yet signed!! This report is dated today.( Given that most stories on there are made up I expect this was a quote from this time yesterday!! ) Ajax have officially announced it so have no idea what the agent is talking about.
yes i posted here yesterday, nothing to worry about!
O tempora o mores

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma feb 04, 2008 12:24 pm

philippe schreef:I do not understand what's your problem with Kuffour
I don't have a problem with Kuffour, and I promise you will give him a chance.

I do have a problem with the type of purchase, because it is surrounded by the smell of panic.

How do Ajax know how good this bloke is? Have they been following him for a long time? Any DVD they watched was nine months old at the very least.

And if they were following him - and are convinced of his qualities - then why didn't they sign him on January 1st? He was free to leave Roma and there was no interest from other clubs. Ajax is like a gift from heaven for this dude.

Ajax signed him on January 26 or something like that, and when a reporter of Het Parool asked him when Ajax first contacted him, he was visibly embarrassed and didn't answer. That says enough: Ajax desparately wanted to present someone, but they first got in touch with Kuffour in the last week of January. Which shows three things:

1. that Kuffour wasn't Ajax's first choice
2. that the candidates on Ajax's wishlist were (apparently) unavailable
3. that Ajax didn't start calling the players of their preference until January (whereas they had the whole first half of the season to notice that the defense was a nightmare, and to put together a 'wishlist' of defenders they could actually get).

This is a complete 'panic signing', whatever Martin van Geel has to say about it. This whole affair proves that Ajax had no plan. Perhaps Kuffour will turn out to be an absolute legend, but somehow I don't expect it (to put it diplomatically) and even if he turns out to be great it would be a 'pleasant surprise' more than anything else. It is crystal clear to me that Ajax had no clue.

It's the case that makes me cynical, not the player himself, although I can't say that I'm expecting miracles from this gentleman.

K.
Still alive...

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma feb 04, 2008 2:14 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
philippe schreef:I do not understand what's your problem with Kuffour
I don't have a problem with Kuffour, and I promise you will give him a chance. K.
That's good old Ko :drecul.gif:

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma feb 04, 2008 6:37 pm

Hope he does well but my thoughts last week were panic buy as I read he has not played since April.He will likely only play centre defence if Heits or Vemaelen are injured or suspended!! Our strongest defence at present is Silva Heits Vermaelen Vertonghen.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di feb 05, 2008 2:44 am

SPL schreef:Hope he does well but my thoughts last week were panic buy as I read he has not played since April.He will likely only play centre defence if Heits or Vemaelen are injured or suspended!! Our strongest defence at present is Silva Heits Vermaelen Vertonghen.
Which isn't that bad of a defense, really. It's certainly better than OMGraru, Heits, Vermaelen, Urby.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma feb 11, 2008 8:22 pm

He has made his début as an Ajacied tonight: he started for Young Ajax, in their home game against Young FC Twente. Kick-off was at 18:30 CET. It's 20:20 now, so the game should be over any second.

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » za apr 19, 2008 6:45 pm

Good news: Samuel Kuffour is available tomorrow. He was ill this week and seemed to have dropped out of the squad, but they fixed him up in time after all.

This is good news now that Vermaelen is injured. The team might get nervous during tomorrow's game (depending on the score in Arnhem). Some experience and physical power at the back is a good thing.

K.
Still alive...

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr apr 25, 2008 9:13 pm

I read on the Dutch-language forums that he's been told he can leave.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

peter
Site Admin & Toto winner WC 2006, EC 2008

Bericht door peter » vr apr 25, 2008 9:36 pm

Indeed. However, the source is still a bit vague. Therefore, it is not 100% official.

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » vr apr 25, 2008 10:10 pm

I hoped he might be a promising addition, but I think he's just another bad purchase from this year that did nothing to fill the gap left by players sold, or retired in this case.

How many games has he played? 1?

I don't know if it was just a lack of fitness or if he's just not good enough, but I have a very good feeling we could have purchased a much better replacement for Stam than him, this winter.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised if he's been told he can leave; I don't think Ajax see him as an asset.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr apr 25, 2008 10:59 pm

gordonvandekamp schreef:I hoped he might be a promising addition, but I think he's just another bad purchase from this year that did nothing to fill the gap left by players sold, or retired in this case.

How many games has he played? 1?

I don't know if it was just a lack of fitness or if he's just not good enough, but I have a very good feeling we could have purchased a much better replacement for Stam than him, this winter.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised if he's been told he can leave; I don't think Ajax see him as an asset.
Yeah, but he was cheap.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Cluijffert

Bericht door Cluijffert » vr apr 25, 2008 11:32 pm

one decent defender would have 'bought' us the championship.
I was recently diagnosed with a stage 4 I don't give a shit, I'm afraid is terminal.

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » za apr 26, 2008 7:07 pm

aveslacker schreef: Yeah, but he was cheap.
Yeah, but he was a waste of money unfortunately. I agree with Jansma's sentiment, if we were going to buy anyone, especially a defender which we badly needed, why didn't we make a useful purchase?

No matter how cheap, if he doesn't play and therefore doesn't help, it's throwing money away, and money that could have been more wisely spent.

Gesloten