Ajax Squad 2006-2007

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Our squad has improved compared to last season.

Yes
86%
Maybe
Geen stemmen
No
14%

Totaal aantal stemmen: 37

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Ajax Squad 2006-2007

Bericht door Dubbel » ma jul 31, 2006 9:18 pm

A friend of mine asked me to say something about our current first team. I thought it might be a good discussion item. Tell me what you think or were I've gone wrong.

Towards a good season! Cheers! :bier:
...here is my penny on the Ajax team for 2006/07. After the misery of the past two seasons we seem to have improved a little. Not enough perhaps to surprise in the CL, but good enough to be a contender for the national champs. Strong holders are Stam at back, Sneijder at midfield and Huntelaar up front.

We have a new coach in Henk ten Cate. This makes it hard to estimate exactly which line-up we will see this year. From what I’ve seen; this is the hierarchy that Ajax will start out with.

Stekelenburg
Heitinga – Stam – Vermaelen – Emanuelson
Gabri –Perez– Sneijder
Rosales – Huntelaar – Mitea

Gentenaar/ Vermeer
Ogararu - Grygera – Vertonghen - Lindenbergh
Krohn-Dehli - Maduro - Roger/ Schilder
De Mul – Babel / Charisteas – Rosenberg/ Manucharyan

I didn’t describe all players. Players like Sarpong, Boakye and Poepon are most likely to be loaned out for the season or remain within the youth squad.

After player's name I've listed year of birth, nationality, from which club player came, debut year for Ajax and current shirt number.

Ryan Babel (1986 - NL – Ajax – 2004 – # 8)
Talented youngster. Typical forward for a 422 system. Good shot, fair speed and technique. Player with a lot of flair. He lacks a good assist. The ball bounces off his feet too often. But he can score goals. He has some problems at Ajax because he is neither a true number 9 nor an outside attacker (numbers 7 or 11). Mostly used as a substitute.

Angelos Charisteas (1980 - GR – Werder Bremen – 2005 - # 27)
Static centre forward. Lacks speed and technical skills. Good physique. Great mentality and he can score goals. Would be better in a 442. Ajax will hope to sell him this august. I hope he stays because he had great impact last season as a sub. But I guess Ajax needs the money.

Tom De Mul (1986 - BE – GB Antwerp – 2004 - # 16)
Belgian player, back from loan from Vitesse. He has the pace and the technique to play at right wing in a 433. Good assist. Problem with him is that he is small, light and doesn’t score much. He could make the team this year but it remains doubtful to me.

Urby Emanuelson(1986 – NL – Ajax – 2005 - # 5)
Talented left back or left midfielder. Dutch international under –21. Not the best defender but technically skilled, good positional play and great when he comes forward. He was our first pick at left back last year and it looks like he will play there a lot again this season.

Gabri (1979 – ES – FC Barcelona – 2006 - # 18)
Spanish veteran from Barca. Controlling player on the right side of the mid-field. Reads the game well and has good technical skills. Gabri will play right midfield as replacement for Tomas Galasek, who left.

Dennis Gentenaar (1975 – NL – Borussia Dortmund – 2006 - # 30)
Veteran goalie who came to become 2nd goalie. Good overall goalkeeper. Very professional player. Good goalie for the sub top level. Useful back up.

Zdenek Grygera (1980 – CZ – Sparta Prague – 2003 - # 22)
From Chechia. Good defender. Grygera can play anywhere at back. Left centre he likes best. Good in the duels, fast too. Reasonable at passing. Not too good at heading. Last year he was our best defender.

Johnny Heitinga (1983 – NL – Ajax – 2001 - # 2)
Reasonable central defender. Dutch international. Can also play right back. Not fast but strong in the duels. Good header. Good long pass. Scores a lot with his head from free kicks and corners.

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (1983 – NL – SC Heerenveen – jan. 2006 - # 9)
Captain of the Dutch under –21 squad. Great number 9. Averages almost 1 on 1. Very clever, uses his body well. Doesn’t miss many chances. Excellent shot. Good header. Good free kick. Not very quick and not the kind of player who might go past two defenders. At his best in the penalty box.

Michael Krohn-Dehli (1983 – DK – RKC Waalwijk – 2006 - # 17)
Right midfielder or right attacker. Did well at RKC Waalwijk as a winger in a 442 system. Reasonable technique, passing and able to score goals. Needs to improve on all fronts. Does not have the potential to reach the top, imo. Ajax seems to think differently…

Olaf Lindenbergh (1974 – NL – AZ Alkmaar – 2005 - # 15)
Defensive midfielder or defender. Lindenbergh can do a bit of everything without actually excelling in any of them. When in good form he is useful but at Ajax he’s been a disappointment thus far. He will play when others are injured or suspended.

Hedwiges Maduro (1985 – NL – Ajax – 2005 - # 6)
Defensive midfielder or right half. Talented youngster. Sees the game very well and should become a good controller on the midfield. Good technique with the ability to go forward and assist the strikers.

Edgar Manucharyan (1987 – AM- Pyunik Yerevan – 2005 - # 26)
Left forward (number 11) in the 433 system. Lightweight player from Armenia. Great technique, good assist and lots of pace. Trouble with Manu is that he has been injured for the past two years.

Nicolae Mitea (1985 – RO – Dinamo Bucharest – 2003 - # 21)
Plays the same position as Manucharyan. Same qualities though he is quicker and has less technical skills. His assist is less good but he scores goals more easily. Also suffers a lot from injuries.

George Ogararu (1980 – RO – Steaua Bucharest – 2006 - # 20)
Rumanian right-defender. Sees the game well and is strong in the duels. Able to come forward and help the offense. Not too quick for a player at his position. I haven’t seen him play a lot yet as he is new and Heitinga has often played at right-back.

Kenneth Perez (1974 – DK – AZ Alkmaar – 2006 - # 11)
Left forward or central midfielder (number 10) in an attacking role. Veteran Danish ex-international. Beautiful technique, great assist. Sees the game very well. Lacks pace.

Roger (1976 – ES – Villareal – 2006 - # 14)
Spanish left midfielder. Superb technique. Good pass. Very slow though. Because of that he will most likely fall short against serious opposition. I will be surprised if he becomes a success story at Ajax.

Mauro Rosales (1981 – AR – Newell’s Old Boys – 2004 - # 7)
Argentinean right striker (number 7) in the 433. Strong on the ball. Fast player. He has a reasonable assist. Scores goals. Problem is that he draws to the centre too much thus overcrowding the central positions.

Markus Rosenberg (1982 – SE – Malmo FF – 2005 - # 19)
Swedish number 9 who has been positioned on the wings because Huntelaar is the man in the centre. Very fast. Poor technique but good ability to score goals. Good shot, poor header. He is needs space, an ideal player for a 422, however not for a 433.

Robbert Schilder (1986 – NL – Ajax – 2006 - # 24)
Left midfielder of left defender. Talented youngster. Good passing. Too slow for the defensive position, imo. Needs to improve in the duels. Looks like a candidate for a loan-out the coming season.

Wesley Sneijder (1984 – NL – Ajax –2003 - # 10)
Left or central midfielder. Arguably our best player. Great technical skills. Sees the game well. Good pass. Can pass opponents easily. Also pretty good at defensive tasks. Scores a lot from outside the penalty box. Good free kick too. He is very small which can be a handicap at the top level.

Jaap Stam (1972 – NL – AC Milan – 2006 - # 3)
Captain and central defender. Very strong guy. Excellent in the duels. Fast player. Good header. Good technique for a defender. Poor at passing.

Maarten Stekelenburg (1982 – NL – Ajax – 2002 - # 1)
First choice goalie. Good reflexes. Good in 1 on 1 with a striker. Poor at stopping high cross passes. Lacks the charisma for a top class goalie. This season, Maarten has to prove that he is the real thing.

Thomas Vermaelen (1985 – BE – GB Antwerp – 2004 - # 4)
Belgian central defender. Good in the duels. Good header. Quite fast. Should improve his positional play to become a top class player.

Kenneth Vermeer (1986 – NL – Ajax – 2005 - # 12)
Third choice goalie. Could even become second choice if he manages to look more secure. Goalie of the under –21 that won the European title this summer. Very good reflexes. Good pass. Needs to improve a lot on leading his defense. He is a small guy so high balls in the box often cause panic.

Jan Vertonghen (1987 – BE – GB Antwerp – 2005 - # 28)
Left midfielder or central defender. Talented young player. Big guy with a good technique. Fairly quick. Good in the duels. Good passing. Needs to improve his right leg and his heading ability. Could break through this season.

Henk de Gier
Contacteer:

Bericht door Henk de Gier » ma jul 31, 2006 9:21 pm

Perez will be the left winger, Maduro will be the defensive midfielder. HtC plays with a defensive midfielder, not an offensive like Perez.
Henk de Gier is geniaal en zijn tijd ver vooruit.
Jöhnk, 29 mei 2006

acab

Bericht door acab » di aug 01, 2006 9:05 am

i really think our squad is better now. but the big diffrense with the previus season comes from the coach

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » di aug 01, 2006 4:34 pm

Coach and Technical Director.

Martin Van Geel :worshippy:

Stam :worshippy:
BRING IT ON !!!!...

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di aug 01, 2006 7:52 pm

Babel- fair speed?!?!?

Sneijder- our best player?!?!?

I think we could be better this year. I don't think the team has ever lacked talent. In fact, towards the end of the Koeman years it was talent that won games when the team had no tactical plan.

Hopefully, ten Cate will instill in them a love for beautiful, attacking soccer, which plays to their talents. I'm optimistic that he can do so.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » di aug 01, 2006 8:22 pm

aveslacker schreef:Babel- fair speed?!?!?

Babel isn't slow, is he? No Mitea or Rosenberg but still, one of our faster strikers.

Sneijder is our best man, imo. Technical ability, positional play, passing, shot. All good. Ajax'revival at the end of last season coincided wit his return. He is also our only Dutch international as far as actually playing is concerned.

Who do you figure is our best player? As I stated, Stam, Sneijder and Huntelaar are our strong holders. For each player you could argue they are the best but to compare them isn't easy. From these three I think Sneijder is the most complete. No wonder perhaps as he is a mid-fielder. ;)

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » di aug 01, 2006 10:33 pm

Ok...why the hell did you not even give Johnny Heitinga a mention X'C

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » di aug 01, 2006 10:42 pm

Heitinga, Grygera, Vermaelen... I would not dare to put Johnny on top of this list. If Grygera gets sold and Oga takes right-back then Johnny will get a good amount of playing time on his favo position with 3 central defenders for 2 central positions. If Grygera stays then Johnny must play his top game just to make the squad. Unless HTC puts him at right-back in stead of Oga. Which, btw, is not unlikely.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo aug 02, 2006 3:00 pm

Dubbel schreef:
aveslacker schreef:Babel- fair speed?!?!?

Babel isn't slow, is he? No Mitea or Rosenberg but still, one of our faster strikers.

Sneijder is our best man, imo. Technical ability, positional play, passing, shot. All good. Ajax'revival at the end of last season coincided wit his return. He is also our only Dutch international as far as actually playing is concerned.

Who do you figure is our best player? As I stated, Stam, Sneijder and Huntelaar are our strong holders. For each player you could argue they are the best but to compare them isn't easy. From these three I think Sneijder is the most complete. No wonder perhaps as he is a mid-fielder. ;)
I think Babel has much better than fair speed. I would think he's one of the fastest players on the team. If only his first touch equaled his pace.

For me there is no doubt that Huntelaar is the best player. He almost single-handedly salvaged the season for Ajax. Without him, Ajax may not have even made the playoffs.

I agree that Sneijder is a much more complete player than Huntelaar, but as you noted, that is because he is a midfielder, and not a striker. He seems inconsistent to me, though. I also think it is fair to say that Ajax will need Sneijder to play well if they are to win the Eredivisie/do well in the CL.

I don't think I can rate Stam as being one of Ajax's best players until he's played half a season or so.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » wo aug 02, 2006 5:28 pm

aveslacker schreef: For me there is no doubt that Huntelaar is the best player. He almost single-handedly salvaged the season for Ajax. Without him, Ajax may not have even made the playoffs.
I don't think it makes sense to compare players like that and to pick a "best player" out of the lot. Huntelaar scored a lot of goals sure, but what about Trabelsi, hasn't he been fantastic? What about Urby?
meh :|

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo aug 02, 2006 6:56 pm

carcajou schreef:
aveslacker schreef: For me there is no doubt that Huntelaar is the best player. He almost single-handedly salvaged the season for Ajax. Without him, Ajax may not have even made the playoffs.
I don't think it makes sense to compare players like that and to pick a "best player" out of the lot. Huntelaar scored a lot of goals sure, but what about Trabelsi, hasn't he been fantastic? What about Urby?
Good point. It is really like comparing apples and oranges. I would consider that Huntelaar was the most "valuable" player for reasons I described above. It seems like he was able to conjure goals at will out of nothing at all, and we needed all those goals to make the playoffs.

Which isn't to say that Trabelsi, Urby, Maduro, or others weren't as good at their respectives positions.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » wo aug 02, 2006 8:55 pm

aveslacker schreef:Good point. It is really like comparing apples and oranges. I would consider that Huntelaar was the most "valuable" player for reasons I described above. It seems like he was able to conjure goals at will out of nothing at all, and we needed all those goals to make the playoffs.

Which isn't to say that Trabelsi, Urby, Maduro, or others weren't as good at their respectives positions.
I didn't mean who was our most valuable player in the current or prev season, but simply; who do you think is the best?. If you play one on one against him on the beach or on a parking lot, which Ajax player will give you the most problems? Or if you have to choose a team-mate in a two against two set up, who would you pick? Etcetera, etcetera.

There is no neutral criterium in comparing players with totally different roles in the field. I know that. But that should not stop you from picking who you think is best.

Last sunday, I was asked to pick whether I wanted an apple or an orange for desert. Both were serious options as I enjoy both. After a quick comparison I chose the apple for reasons I will not bore you with. This only shows that you can compare anything as long as you want to. ;)

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo aug 02, 2006 9:15 pm

Dubbel schreef:
aveslacker schreef:Good point. It is really like comparing apples and oranges. I would consider that Huntelaar was the most "valuable" player for reasons I described above. It seems like he was able to conjure goals at will out of nothing at all, and we needed all those goals to make the playoffs.

I didn't mean who was our most valuable player in the current or prev season, but simply; who do you think is the best?. If you play one on one against him on the beach or on a parking lot, which Ajax player will give you the most problems? Or if you have to choose a team-mate in a two against two set up, who would you pick? Etcetera, etcetera.

There is no neutral criterium in comparing players with totally different roles in the field. I know that. But that should not stop you from picking who you think is best.

Last sunday, I was asked to pick whether I wanted an apple or an orange for desert. Both were serious options as I enjoy both. After a quick comparison I chose the apple for reasons I will not bore you with. This only shows that you can compare anything as long as you want to. ;)
By those criteria, I would choose Huntelaar. It should be pretty obvious that I'm sold on the guy.

And I think that you were wrong for choosing the apple.

I would have chosen ice cream. :D
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » za aug 05, 2006 1:10 am

aveslacker schreef:By those criteria, I would choose Huntelaar. It should be pretty obvious that I'm sold on the guy.
Where was KJH when Ajax needed an equalizer versus Inter today? Good thing Sneijder was there to deliver the bacon. Me and Wes will beat you and the Hunt up and down the block on any street, anytime. :eusa_dance:

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » za aug 05, 2006 10:54 am

De Mul's crossing sucks, and Perez was virtually nowhere on the left.

That's the problem with 4-3-3, the lone striker really depends on the wingers.
Get a Cock

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » za aug 05, 2006 1:48 pm

I prefer Manucharyan or Babel on the left, Perez seems to want to be a fox in the box.

ajaxnumberone
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxnumberone » za aug 05, 2006 4:55 pm

I watched ajax played yesterday and don't know why Perez played like that. He's maybe not a winger and pretty old, not fast enough. I think we had trouble in combination. We played like Holland played in WC 2006. We need something to prove our 4-3-3 is our best formation

bluedaddy19
Contacteer:

Bericht door bluedaddy19 » za aug 05, 2006 6:42 pm

Dubbel schreef:Heitinga, Grygera, Vermaelen... I would not dare to put Johnny on top of this list. If Grygera gets sold and Oga takes right-back then Johnny will get a good amount of playing time on his favo position with 3 central defenders for 2 central positions. If Grygera stays then Johnny must play his top game just to make the squad. Unless HTC puts him at right-back in stead of Oga. Which, btw, is not unlikely.

i'm guessing you haven't seen heitinga play over the last seven months, he's been simply fantastic

he must start somewhere, for HTC to leave him out the way he has played would be retarded
AJAX HUP ROOD WITTE SCHARE, DAPP RE STRIJDERS FIER EN KOEN
GEEN CLUB DIE ONS KAN EVENAREN, ROOD EN WIT WORDT KAMPIOEN

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » zo aug 06, 2006 5:39 pm

bluedaddy19 schreef:
Dubbel schreef:Heitinga, Grygera, Vermaelen... I would not dare to put Johnny on top of this list. If Grygera gets sold and Oga takes right-back then Johnny will get a good amount of playing time on his favo position with 3 central defenders for 2 central positions. If Grygera stays then Johnny must play his top game just to make the squad. Unless HTC puts him at right-back in stead of Oga. Which, btw, is not unlikely.

i'm guessing you haven't seen heitinga play over the last seven months, he's been simply fantastic

he must start somewhere, for HTC to leave him out the way he has played would be retarded
Johnny has been a lot better after the winter break then before. Won't argue with that. Vermaelen has been better though. Stam and Vermaelen in the centre seems the best way to go. That leaves Johnny competing with Oga for right-back. Looks to me like it will be Heitinga-Stam-Vermaelen-Urby at the start of the season as Oga hasn't been very solid at defending thusfar. Grygera remains a good option for any defensive position.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » ma aug 07, 2006 2:24 am

Based on the two Amsterdam Tournament games, I would start the following XI against Copenhagen on Tuesday.

Steks
Ograru Vermaelen Stam Urby
Sneijder Maduro Gabri
Perez KJH Manucharyan

I was pretty impressed with Gabri against Inter, although he needs to watch himself when lunging at opposing players.

I think that midfield has a lot of potential.

I chose Perez and Manucharyan as wingers because I felt that this arrangement gives the team two different kinds of wingers: one that can race to the touchline and deliver crosses (Manucharyan) and one who can bring the ball inside and distribute.

I think this team is going to do well in the long run, and should contend for the Eredivisie title, but I'm not confident that they'll do well in the first few months, including against a Copenhagen team that is in mid-season form. There is just so much for the players to adjust to: new coach, new teammates, etc.

So I'm not optimistic for the short-term, but I think they can do great things in the end.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » ma aug 07, 2006 11:44 am

I would pick something similar to that, except my midfield pick would be: Sneijder-Maduro-Perez

and upfront: Rosales-Huntelaar-Manucharyan
Get a Cock

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » ma aug 07, 2006 7:27 pm

How do you guys come up with putting Wes on 6? To make room for Perez or Gabri on 8? Strange train of thought. At back I would play Heitinga for Oga. Heit is better at defending and because it is the start of the season a bit more defensive security can't hurt. Plenty of time to fit Oga in later, once the team is hopefully on a roll. Perez didn't impress in the midfield so he should start left front. The rest kind of fills out itself. Manu, Rosenberg and Babel look like the most useful subs to me.

Stex
Heit-Stam-Vermaelen-Urbs
Gabri-Maduro-Sneijder
Rosales-KJH-Perez

SwedishFan

Bericht door SwedishFan » ma aug 07, 2006 7:35 pm

Dubbel,

I agree with your eleven! If Perez doesn't work, Manucharyan or Rosenberg are useful subs.

Edit: Babel ofc, if he's fit enough to play.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » ma aug 07, 2006 8:59 pm

Dubbel schreef:How do you guys come up with putting Wes on 6? To make room for Perez or Gabri on 8? Strange train of thought. At back I would play Heitinga for Oga. Heit is better at defending and because it is the start of the season a bit more defensive security can't hurt. Plenty of time to fit Oga in later, once the team is hopefully on a roll. Perez didn't impress in the midfield so he should start left front. The rest kind of fills out itself. Manu, Rosenberg and Babel look like the most useful subs to me.

Stex
Heit-Stam-Vermaelen-Urbs
Gabri-Maduro-Sneijder
Rosales-KJH-Perez
Good point about Gabri/Sneijder.

Basing my opinion solely on the two matches I saw this weekend, I would say that Ograru should start over Heitinga (who did not impress me at all). I also wasn't all that impressed with Rosales; I thought Manucharyan did better at getting past his defenders and seemed more dangerous.

I imagine yours is more like what HtC will choose, though. I hope they do well, but I'm pessimistic.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » wo aug 09, 2006 11:15 am

In a 4-3-3 the midfield scheme doesnt necessarily mean a thing as in "number 10" etc. Imo only the central midfielder is the main guy.
Get a Cock

Gesloten