General Football Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Orange14

Re: General Football Discussion

Bericht door Orange14 » do jan 22, 2015 5:31 pm

Deloitte money league football rankings are out for 2015: http://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/De ... e-2015.PDF Ajax, the biggest of the Dutch clubs, is not even in the top 30 this year. Madrid are #1 and there are 14 EPL teams in the top 30, primarily because of all the television money. I don't think this is good for football in general but I guess nothing can be done about it as the EPL brand is so heavily marketed.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr jan 23, 2015 10:34 am

I wonder if we didn't miss an opportunity about 20 years ago before the full effects of Bosman were known. Back then we were one of the biggest names in the world and could really have capitalized.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

ajaxusa
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » vr jan 23, 2015 5:57 pm

Any more news on the supporters home fire? Any reason to think this wasn't arson?
Mark it 8, Dude.

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » za jan 24, 2015 6:48 am

Supporters home fire?

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » za jan 24, 2015 5:15 pm

Mark it 8, Dude.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za jan 24, 2015 6:49 pm

Arson is now suggested. Nice to read that KJH has started a campaign for old Ajax players to donates their old Ajax shirts as loads of old shirts were burnt.I know Heitinga ,Urby and Hedweges Maduro all responded straight away to KJH.

Nice to know such guys still love Ajax and show care for our supporters.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » ma jan 26, 2015 4:00 am

Hasn't this happened before? Or was it another club's supporters home that got burned down.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » ma jan 26, 2015 4:05 am

I know Joh O'Brien still has many of his old shirts. Do you think he supporters home would want one of those?
Mark it 8, Dude.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » ma jan 26, 2015 6:43 am

I certainly would!
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » ma jan 26, 2015 11:57 am

aveslacker schreef:Hasn't this happened before? Or was it another club's supporters home that got burned down.
Yes in 2005 the Ajax supportershome also burned down and in 2006 and 2008 there were attemps to do this again.
ajaxusa schreef:I know Joh O'Brien still has many of his old shirts. Do you think he supporters home would want one of those?
Yes, a lot of fans liked John O'Brien as a laid back dude, his shirt is absolutely welcome. Just like aveslacker I would also like to have one. :smile-ajax.gif: :yes.gif:

If he's able to ship two of his shirts to The Netherlands I will send him some cool items he will like for sure. :biggthumpup.gif:

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do feb 12, 2015 7:53 pm

The new Tv deal for the EPL will see the average footballer earning £5m pa. ie 6.5 m euros by 2020.Small teams like Bournemouth or Brentford,currently doing well in the championship could pay players the above sum if promoted.

The only clubs in Europe who could live with that are R Madrid and Barca ,both about 400m euros in debt and Bayern. All the Spanish clubs are currently in debt and I believe all of Germany except Bayern. There is no big money in Italy,France has PSG but even they cannot compete with the super rich at present ,they need more than Zlatan to win the CL.

The EPL is a big monster that will destroy football imo.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do feb 12, 2015 8:07 pm

Barca and Madrid have decent cash flows at this point in time but if the other Spanish teams go on "strike" for shares of their TV money the game is over in Spain. Right now those two clubs negotiate preferential payout and they receive huge amounts relative to others. German league will begin getting more money next year as they have negotiated a new contract here in the US with Fox Sports (Sky in the UK). It's still small compared to the EPL's deal. Italian football is in a death spiral unless they build some new stadiums which is a very expensive proposition. Juventus are the only club that play to 100% stadium capacity every home match day.

I agree with SPL that Euro football is facing a big problem going forward.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr feb 13, 2015 10:45 am

I heard on a podcast this morning (Football Weekly from the Guardian ... very good btw) that the EPL earns more in one week's games what the Eredivisie earns in a year. Next year a team like Brentford will be have more income than Ajax if promoted.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma feb 23, 2015 10:47 pm

Our current team may be disappointing but we do hold down the top spot for most players trained in a youth academy that play top flight football in Europe: http://tinyurl.com/k66cxmk I knew the academy was good but I didn't know it was this good (of course a lot of these players are still in the Eredivisie playing for other teams).

EDIT: Here's the link to the big map of Europe with a listing of all the clubs. Partizan Belgrade is second to Ajax.
http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG ... 00_eng.pdf

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » di feb 24, 2015 9:00 am

77 eh? I wonder how good a "dream team" of ex-Ajax youth products who are still playing would be? Hmm.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di feb 24, 2015 2:12 pm

Tom_ schreef:77 eh? I wonder how good a "dream team" of ex-Ajax youth products who are still playing would be? Hmm.
Just thinking of recent Dutch NT players (since 2014): Sneijder, van der Vaart, van der Wiel, Vermeer, Blind, N. de Jong, S. de Jong, Narsingh (I think he started out in the academy and was let go), Stekelenburg. Of course there are also the foreign born players who came over at young ages and probably fall into this category as well: Eriksen, Vertonghen, Vermaelen, Alderwiereld, Ozbilitz, (probably some others I cannot recall off the top of my head).

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di feb 24, 2015 2:51 pm

good to see we are tops at producing young players

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di feb 24, 2015 6:41 pm

Want to know why Euro football is doomed? Read The Swiss Ramble's comments on the new EPL television contract: http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2015/02 ... r-and.html The money quote comes about midway through the article. Richard Scudamore, CEO of the EPL, said somewhat jarringly, but completely accurately, “Burnley are now, economically, bigger than Ajax.”

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » di feb 24, 2015 10:18 pm

Orange14 schreef:Just thinking of recent Dutch NT players (since 2014): Sneijder, van der Vaart, van der Wiel, Vermeer, Blind, N. de Jong, S. de Jong, Narsingh (I think he started out in the academy and was let go), Stekelenburg. Of course there are also the foreign born players who came over at young ages and probably fall into this category as well: Eriksen, Vertonghen, Vermaelen, Alderwiereld, Ozbilitz, (probably some others I cannot recall off the top of my head).
Reasonable defense and MF with the Belgians, Blind at LB and van Rhijn at RB, N. de Jong at DMF, Eriksen (he definitely counts as ours) & Sneijder etc., but I'm struggling to think of an attacking 3... Siem at #9 is OK with me, but on the wings?

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo feb 25, 2015 2:53 pm

Tom_ schreef:
Orange14 schreef:Just thinking of recent Dutch NT players (since 2014): Sneijder, van der Vaart, van der Wiel, Vermeer, Blind, N. de Jong, S. de Jong, Narsingh (I think he started out in the academy and was let go), Stekelenburg. Of course there are also the foreign born players who came over at young ages and probably fall into this category as well: Eriksen, Vertonghen, Vermaelen, Alderwiereld, Ozbilitz, (probably some others I cannot recall off the top of my head).
Reasonable defense and MF with the Belgians, Blind at LB and van Rhijn at RB, N. de Jong at DMF, Eriksen (he definitely counts as ours) & Sneijder etc., but I'm struggling to think of an attacking 3... Siem at #9 is OK with me, but on the wings?
Full list of the 77 players trained at Ajax and now at other top clubs: http://www.ajax1.nl/de-77-spelers-met-v ... en-rijtje/ It also includes those on the Ajax first team.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za feb 28, 2015 6:21 pm

I decided to watch the Dortmund/Schalke derby today and what a fun match. Dortmund were having the better of the play but having trouble getting the first goal. Then out almost nothing Aubameyang scores a nice one dashes to the side of the goal and picks up a small black back. I'm thinking WTF???? Then he pulls out a Batman cowl and Robin mask. He puts on the Batman cowl and gives the Robin mask to Reus. No good YouTube clip up yet but you can see some of it here: http://screamer.deadspin.com/happy-boru ... 1688644475 This may have been the best and most unusual goal celebration I've ever seen.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do mar 05, 2015 12:56 pm

ESPN FC has a very nice profile on el Ghazi: http://www.espnfc.us/blog/scouts-notebo ... on-ronaldo

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do mar 05, 2015 3:13 pm

FC Twente have had three points taken away for financial irregularities. The moved up advance payments for the television rights to cover up for increased player salaries. This was not a wise thing to do and it looks like there will be a fire sale as they try to unload some of the more expensive players. This is what would have happened in Eindhoven had the city not intervened a couple of years ago when PSV failed to bring in CL money. This is a cautionary tale and shows that even clubs that were once high can fall quickly.

Dave the mac

Bericht door Dave the mac » vr mei 01, 2015 5:59 pm

Surprisingly I could not find a thread for Davy Klaassen, so am posting here.
Anyway he had surgery yesterday for something that had been bothering him but not that serious.
Get good Davy and come back better!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za mei 02, 2015 7:39 pm

I too wasn't sure where to put that news.Hope Davy gets better soon.Abdominal injury and he hopes to be fit by the CL qualifiers at the end of July

Plaats reactie