Former Ajax Players

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

ofey
Contacteer:

Re: Former Ajax Players

Bericht door ofey » wo feb 26, 2014 11:02 pm

did anyone watch Schalke get spanked by Real?
1-6!!

Our old skipper and #9 scored a fabulous consolation.
http://youtu.be/E4TmLTlo4MQ
Laatst gewijzigd door ofey op do apr 03, 2014 2:13 am, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
AJACIED

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do feb 27, 2014 1:06 pm

The Hunter is now fit again and back to scoring goals. He is still a favourite of mine along with Vertonghen.

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » do feb 27, 2014 2:59 pm

Yep - I watched the game and saw the Hunter's goal -- what a cracker -- I was hoping he would get one -- too bad it wasn't of more significance.

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » do feb 27, 2014 3:03 pm

SPL schreef:The Hunter is now fit again and back to scoring goals. He is still a favourite of mine along with Vertonghen.
Read a blurb which rumored that Verthongen may be thinking of leaving Spurs if they don't make the CL -- who knows if there is any truth to it. Our other member of the Ajax contigent at Spurs seems reduced to picking splinters out of his backside -- so much for leaving to pursue wealth and glory in allegedly greener pastures.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do feb 27, 2014 6:11 pm

rjf1 schreef:
SPL schreef:The Hunter is now fit again and back to scoring goals. He is still a favourite of mine along with Vertonghen.
Read a blurb which rumored that Verthongen may be thinking of leaving Spurs if they don't make the CL -- who knows if there is any truth to it. Our other member of the Ajax contigent at Spurs seems reduced to picking splinters out of his backside -- so much for leaving to pursue wealth and glory in allegedly greener pastures.
????? - Eriksen is playing a lot and even caused Spurs to loan out Holtby. He's played in far more games than sitting on the bench (remember also he was hurt and missed four or so matches because of injury).
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » vr feb 28, 2014 8:14 am

I watched four Spurs games recently and he was on the bench for two of them, and substituted out in the 60th minute for a third -- he did play the full game in one of them. Maybe this was against the trend, but the impression I got was that he's down the pecking order to Dembele and Paulinho, and 50/50 with Chadli -- plus they are interested in developing Bentaleb. I see he played (and scored) in their EL win -- so maybe he will be used more in the future.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » di mar 04, 2014 5:56 pm

Theo Janssen retired. Seems he was initially due back from his torn ACL in January but incurred a new knee injury in his first training session and was out for at least the rest of this season.

I know he wasn't that popular here but I thought he did a decent job while he was at Ajax—he could hit a pass and he had some bite to him.

:biggthumpup.gif:

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » do mar 06, 2014 3:53 pm

I liked him, too -- he made some phenomenal breakout passes and set up many an attack with his ability to hit a teammate with a 60 meter pinpoint pass.

I think that there were people here who just disliked him and for that reason were never willing to give him his due. From before he even arrived for the first time, he could do no right in some people's eyes. I remember one game where he was voted man of the match but got a substandard performance rating from several members of the forum.

Plus he provided a steadying hand for the younger players in pressure situations -- as well as protecting them. I remember a game where one of the Feyenoord thugs was manhandling and trying to intimidate one of our young players and Theo stepped right up into his face and made him back off.

Although he wasn't of 'star' quality, I think he served us well in the time he was here. All the best to him.

ajaxcolombia

Bericht door ajaxcolombia » vr mar 07, 2014 4:38 am

Theo's greatest obstacle at ajax was the fact that when he came here, after being the best player in the eredivise, frank de boer was set on revolutionizing football by scratching aside the holding midfield role, and deploying theo janssen as a sort of deep laying playmaker. It didn't work out as theo was far too slow to provide any cover for the back four and we paid dearly for it with a string of bad results. Finally, de boer brought back Anita to play holding midfield and theo did a bit better towards the end of the 2011-2012 season.
Godenzonen

ajaxcolombia

Bericht door ajaxcolombia » vr mar 07, 2014 4:48 am

http://youtu.be/A0H9zORtQs4 something to remember Theo's time at ajax. Watch the 2:20 mark the beauty of a pass he comes up with, it's ridiculous!
Godenzonen

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » vr mar 07, 2014 11:40 am

Mwa.

Nice one touch pass from Theo, but it's nothing compared to these skills.

Or this, only one season an an 'old man'.

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » vr mar 07, 2014 11:43 am

That last clip is even so skillfull that after a few minutes you just forget he is wearing that ugly shirt.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr mar 07, 2014 5:43 pm

ajaxcolombia schreef:Theo's greatest obstacle at ajax was the fact that when he came here, after being the best player in the eredivise, frank de boer was set on revolutionizing football by scratching aside the holding midfield role, and deploying theo janssen as a sort of deep laying playmaker. It didn't work out as theo was far too slow to provide any cover for the back four and we paid dearly for it with a string of bad results. Finally, de boer brought back Anita to play holding midfield and theo did a bit better towards the end of the 2011-2012 season.
A few thoughts on Theo. My abiding memory of him will be that look on his face after we beat Twente at home in 2011 to win the title. You could tell he absolutely hated losing. I respected him 100% for that.

The next memory of Theo is those goddamned inch-perfect slide rule passes he used to thread through defenses. It's a shame that Frank tried to make him take on too many defensive responsibilities.

Finally, the soundtrack for that highlight video. What the fuck? The Final Countdown? Is it 1987 again?
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » vr mar 07, 2014 10:20 pm

Respect to Theo. He helped us very much. Maybe under Jol he could play even more.

As for the Final Countdown, it will always remind us Greeks of our 1987 EuroBasket win!!
May the Force be with you

Dave the mac

Bericht door Dave the mac » wo apr 02, 2014 5:25 pm

An old friend: Ole Tobiasen is back at Ajax doing a coaching internship.
He played at left back for Ajax and as I remember was quite good, when healthy...always liked him. Good luck Ole!

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » wo apr 02, 2014 8:04 pm

An old friend: Ole Tobiasen is back at Ajax doing a coaching internship.
He played at left back for Ajax and as I remember was quite good, when healthy...always liked him. Good luck Ole!
Dave the Mac, wasnt Ole Tobiasen right back? And Tom Sier left back. I remember this because Ole was dogged by injuries and replaced by Mario Melchiot

Kilroy

Bericht door Kilroy » do apr 03, 2014 4:15 am

Indeed, Tobiason was a right back and a very good one at that. I'd give you three van Rhijns for one Tobiason.

Iniesta

Bericht door Iniesta » do apr 03, 2014 6:59 am

With his fitness level you would need 5 tobiasens for 1 Ricardo.

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » za apr 26, 2014 10:13 pm

Former player and Ajax C (??) coach, Yannis Anastasiou, won the Greek Cup with Panathinaikos! Clever guy, easy going and carrying on with the Ajax philosophy!!

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » ma apr 28, 2014 7:58 am

souras84 schreef:Former player and Ajax C (??) coach, Yannis Anastasiou, won the Greek Cup with Panathinaikos! Clever guy, easy going and carrying on with the Ajax philosophy!!
Poutanes yoi, Olympiakoi!
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » ma apr 28, 2014 1:51 pm

aveslacker schreef:
souras84 schreef:Former player and Ajax C (??) coach, Yannis Anastasiou, won the Greek Cup with Panathinaikos! Clever guy, easy going and carrying on with the Ajax philosophy!!
Poutanes yoi, Olympiakoi!
LOL you got that right!!! My hometown volleyball team is playing agains Olympiakos tonight in the championship final. We need all the support we can get, against a powerfull opponent

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma apr 28, 2014 2:37 pm

Congratulations, Yannis !
Appie, stay strong !

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma apr 28, 2014 3:15 pm

souras84 schreef: LOL you got that right!!! My hometown volleyball team is playing agains Olympiakos tonight in the championship final. We need all the support we can get, against a powerfull opponent
Cool! A lot of years ago I played volleyball when I was at the university and coached the team at Cornell University for two years. This was long before the football boom (soccer) in the US which I missed out on as an athlete and volleyball was my sport of choice.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » ma apr 28, 2014 10:49 pm

Volleyball is a very interesting and hopefully still not that commercial as other team sports. Pure sport and agonizing games. I like it alot

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di apr 29, 2014 11:41 am

souras84 schreef:Volleyball is a very interesting and hopefully still not that commercial as other team sports. Pure sport and agonizing games. I like it alot
The only professional league that started in the US was for 2-man beach volleyball which I think has since failed. Indoor volleyball never took off other than at the university level. I played a lot of beach volleyball growing up in Southern California and it's pretty demanding.

Plaats reactie