General Football Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

souras84

Re: General Football Discussion

Bericht door souras84 » wo okt 24, 2012 1:40 pm

philippe schreef:juventus (almost) eliminated from the CL : how sad :drecul.gif:
And they still havent lost!! OMG what the hell...
May the Force be with you

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo okt 31, 2012 10:50 am

Arena : additional seats after the winter break, close to the pitch. :biggthumpup.gif:
Appie, stay strong !

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do nov 08, 2012 9:27 am

They did not know it was impossible so they did it. (Mark Twain)
Celtic 2 - Barcelona 1.
Scotland Home of the Brave !

(So much for the "big leagues" fairy tale )
Appie, stay strong !

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do nov 08, 2012 2:13 pm

philippe schreef:They did not know it was impossible so they did it. (Mark Twain)
Celtic 2 - Barcelona 1.
Scotland Home of the Brave !

(So much for the "big leagues" fairy tale )
Even Rod got emotional!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/video/2 ... lona-video

:biggthumpup.gif:
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do nov 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Amazing video. A real fan, I presume.
Appie, stay strong !

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do nov 08, 2012 2:31 pm

philippe schreef:Amazing video. A real fan, I presume.
Rod Stewart?
Yes, a real Celtic (and Scotland) fan.
Just born in London and living in California...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Stewart

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do nov 08, 2012 3:14 pm

I went to Glasgow a few months ago, and the Celtic have even got a shop inside the airport. I think the Rangers will be missed though, by scottish football in general.
Appie, stay strong !

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di nov 13, 2012 10:27 pm

Franchise FC (aka MK Dons FC) are 3-1 up against Ryman League Cambride City in an FA Cup 1st Round replay right now so are surely through to the 2nd round. At home to AFC Wimbledon....

This could be the grudge match to beat all others - there's a fairly muted history of AFC here http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/club/history/

Trust everyone will be an AFC Don for the day.....
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Manneken Pis

Re: The New Vak 425 Pathetic Joke Corner

Bericht door Manneken Pis » di dec 04, 2012 10:20 am

Dutch linesman beaten up and killed at a Sunday league match...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20583970

Jezusss.....

(SORRY OBVIOUSLY I POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG SECTION. COULD ONE OF THE MODS MOVE IT TO "GENERAL FOOTBALL DISCUSSION"? THANKS.)

[666]Done.[/666]

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » di dec 04, 2012 1:28 pm

ajaxusa
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » do dec 06, 2012 6:49 am

Van basten schreef:Shocking.
I'll say it is... I spent the whole weekend, 23 hours in all, in a referee training clinic. I gave up my entire weekend to learn and improve so that I can referee more advanced matches, and then this. Makes me want to give it up.

I just hope his poor kid is able to recover, eventually. So fucking sad.
Mark it 8, Dude.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do dec 06, 2012 10:26 am

The Royal Belgian Football Asscoiation have also advised all clubs to hold a minute's silence before games this week-end.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za dec 08, 2012 7:53 pm

Just reading that jupiler league team AGOVV Apeldoorn may go bankrupt on Tuesday as they owe 400000 euros to the tax man . And they are struggling to pay their wages. Looks like they could fold . This is KJH's old club I believe they have named a stand after him so wonder if he wants to help them out!!

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » ma dec 10, 2012 9:41 am

It seems Rio Ferdinand was struck by a coin in the Manchester derby at the weekend. I'll be interested to see what the English FA does about it—I suspect with the hysterical British media on the case the outcome will be a little bit different to when the same thing happened to Toby at Twente last season.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma dec 10, 2012 2:02 pm

Leo Messi broke Gerd Muller's 40 year old record for most goals in a calendar year yesterday with two against Betis. I doubt that we will see something like this happen again in our lifetime as it requires someone with terrific skills who also stays free of injury.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » ma dec 10, 2012 3:59 pm

25 years from now, when they talk about the legend that was Lionel Messi, everyone and his aunt and uncle will be talking about how they were there in the stadium when he scored the record setting goal. :smallgrin.gif:

I can remember watching Gerd Muller on TV back in the day -- I'm glad that it was someone of the personality and football attitude of Messi that broke the record. Not to mention any names (ahem), but it would have been really disappointing if it had been someone of the show-off prima donna persuasion.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma dec 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Agree with RJF1 on Messi's special nature. From the penalty spot, free kicks, with his left foot, with his right foot and with his head, you can see in the 10 minute clip on YouTube all 86 goals with commentary in English, Spanish and even Russian. To be fair a significant number were penalty kicks but look as some of the amazing free kicks. I've never seen a player quite like Messi in all the years I've been following the sport and this is just an amazing feat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU80TSIgOFs
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma dec 10, 2012 8:08 pm

Messi will end up one of the all time greats .An amazing player.

paladinby
Contacteer:

Bericht door paladinby » di dec 11, 2012 6:02 pm

Didn't know where to post this.

It looks like we are opening a youth academy in Moscow in 2013 summer. May be it's another silly internet rumour but if it actually happens it will be very interesting project.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo dec 12, 2012 12:49 pm

AGOVV have been given another 4 weeks to avoid bankruptcy . I wish them well as its not nice to see any club go out of business.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » do dec 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Great article about Frank DeBoer's evolution as a manager.

http://jouracule.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12 ... er_12.html
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do dec 13, 2012 2:06 pm

^The article is interesting but flawed. Ajax really don't press in the same manner as Barca as they don't get the ball up into the offensive third as often. When they give the ball up there you see the full backs often retreating rather than pressing (of course FdB doesn't have the same level of talented quick players that Villanova has). I also take issue with the build up from the back. Often times the team seems clueless about how to create space in the middle third of the pitch necessitating back passes to Vermeer. This is the reason Vermeer has such a high pass completion rate and in some matches is the fourth highest recipient of passes. In contrast Valdes goes for long stretches of the match without even touching the ball.

Those quibbles aside (plus the questionable player selections, such as de Jong in the midfield) FdB remains an interesting manager who continues to move the club in a positive direction.

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » do dec 13, 2012 3:04 pm

Another aspect where Ajax falls short of Barca's style is that when Barca circulates the ball it isn't aimless in the way that Ajax' is. With Barca they don't pass it back just because they don't see where to go with the ball going forward -- they circulate the ball with the purpose of maneuvering the defenders into particular positions -- like moving pieces on a chessboard -- to the point where they create a pre-planned vulnerability -- then they go and attack it. They also have 3 or 4 players moving around the box when they attack -- Ajax rarely has more than one -- and sometimes not even one.

Barca, also, rarely passes back as far as the back line -- it's always probe - half step back - probe again - half step back - probe again. They never give the opponent the luxury of being able to stand around and rest while the ball circulates meaninglessly around the back line. This is my biggest gripe with the way Ajax circulates the ball -- they take all the momentum out of their own game, and give the opponents every opportunity to get themselves sorted out and take on the momentum for themselves.

Still in all, I, too, like Frank de Boer as a manager and the direction he's taking the team in, and hope he stays our manager over the long term.

paladinby
Contacteer:

Bericht door paladinby » do dec 13, 2012 4:23 pm

The biggest change I've managed to see in De Boer management is a switch to some more long balls during away game against Roda and following games. Which brought some results. May be he finally understood that blindly replicating Barca's playstyle makes no sense given the difference in quality of players and the fact that Ajax is constantly rebuilding their squad during each midseason while losing some of the best players in the process.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » do dec 13, 2012 4:47 pm

paladinby schreef:The biggest change I've managed to see in De Boer management is a switch to some more long balls during away game against Roda and following games. Which brought some results. May be he finally understood that blindly replicating Barca's playstyle makes no sense given the difference in quality of players and the fact that Ajax is constantly rebuilding their squad during each midseason while losing some of the best players in the process.
It would have been a lot easier to play like Barca if we hadn't let Anita get away. :blush.gif:
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Plaats reactie