Grab Bag Of Random Posts

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Orange14

Re: Grab Bag Of Random Posts

Bericht door Orange14 » wo aug 10, 2011 10:18 pm

GangstaRiB schreef:To all US visitors of this forum: I'm travelling in september to Anaheim, California. I will be attending a Boeing seminar, but of course.. I want to see some sites when I'm in SOCAL. When I check the internet, Anaheim seems like a nice place, Angels stadium and Honda center (ducks) at walking distance. Is LA (or is Anaheim part of LA :blush.gif: ) worth a trip?

Anyway, if you have any tips (to see, do or eat) they would be very welcome.
Anaheim is inland and not so great a place for sight seeing other than Disneyland which you didn't mention. Depending on how much free time you have, here are my suggestions. A trip down to San Diego (my home town!!) to see the best zoo in the world and the associated safari park (which is closer to Anaheim than the zoo: http://www.sandiegozoo.org/) is worthwhile. From Anaheim you can also head on over to the beach area quite easily (Newport and Laguna are my favorites in that area). The water should still be good for swimming that time of the year but be forewarned, it is cooler than the ocean beaches on the East Coast since the current comes down from the north. The Getty art museum in Malibu is spectacular (http://www.getty.edu/museum/about.html). There is no real downtown LA but some of the communities that are interesting are Santa Monica and Venice which are both on the beach. Santa Barbara which is probably a two hour drive north is really nice (I went to the university there which was right on the ocean!). There are also some great vineyards that make fine wines up in Santa Barbara (http://www.sbcountywines.com/visit/map.html) but closer by where you will be are the Temecula area wineries which might be a good visit (http://www.temecula-wineries.com/html/t ... s-map.html)

Hope this helps!!
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » do aug 11, 2011 2:11 am

Anaheim is close enough t LA to almost be the same place. Depending on which team is at home, you can see the Angels or the Dodgers. Two places I would recommend are Universal Studios and the Getty Museum. Venice beach is a popular tourist spot -- lots of movies that take place in LA have scenes of it in the film.

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » do aug 11, 2011 8:29 am

Orange14 schreef:
GangstaRiB schreef:To all US visitors of this forum: I'm travelling in september to Anaheim, California. I will be attending a Boeing seminar, but of course.. I want to see some sites when I'm in SOCAL. When I check the internet, Anaheim seems like a nice place, Angels stadium and Honda center (ducks) at walking distance. Is LA (or is Anaheim part of LA :blush.gif: ) worth a trip?

Anyway, if you have any tips (to see, do or eat) they would be very welcome.
Anaheim is inland and not so great a place for sight seeing other than Disneyland which you didn't mention. Depending on how much free time you have, here are my suggestions. A trip down to San Diego (my home town!!) to see the best zoo in the world and the associated safari park (which is closer to Anaheim than the zoo: http://www.sandiegozoo.org/) is worthwhile. From Anaheim you can also head on over to the beach area quite easily (Newport and Laguna are my favorites in that area). The water should still be good for swimming that time of the year but be forewarned, it is cooler than the ocean beaches on the East Coast since the current comes down from the north. The Getty art museum in Malibu is spectacular (http://www.getty.edu/museum/about.html). There is no real downtown LA but some of the communities that are interesting are Santa Monica and Venice which are both on the beach. Santa Barbara which is probably a two hour drive north is really nice (I went to the university there which was right on the ocean!). There are also some great vineyards that make fine wines up in Santa Barbara (http://www.sbcountywines.com/visit/map.html) but closer by where you will be are the Temecula area wineries which might be a good visit (http://www.temecula-wineries.com/html/t ... s-map.html)

Hope this helps!!
Thanks! I indeed didn't mention Disneyland, because I'm sure I will not go there. If I want to go to San Diego or Laguna, would it be better to rent a car or go with public transport?

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do aug 11, 2011 11:26 am

GangstaRiB schreef: Thanks! I indeed didn't mention Disneyland, because I'm sure I will not go there. If I want to go to San Diego or Laguna, would it be better to rent a car or go with public transport?
A rental car is best since public transportation is not good and you should be able to get a pretty decent rate on a car as the vendors are pretty competitive on prices these days. Laguna Beach should only be about 40 minutes by car and San Diego about 90 minutes. Also, the weather might be quite warm as in September and October there is the possibility of winds blowing in from the desert which can spike the temperatures up to 35C or more. These winds are quite dry so the heat really doesn't feel all that uncomfortable. Have a great trip!!
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » do aug 11, 2011 12:02 pm

Rent a car and drive up the PCH as far as you can. LA isn't one of my favorite cities but it is pretty close to a lot of neat things: the coast, the mountains, Joshua Tree, Vegas, etc.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » do aug 11, 2011 7:07 pm

aveslacker schreef:Rent a car and drive up the PCH as far as you can. LA isn't one of my favorite cities but it is pretty close to a lot of neat things: the coast, the mountains, Joshua Tree, Vegas, etc.
I'd recommend this if you've got the time. I went to LA earlier this year with my girlfriend for a conference she was presenting at and after that was done we drove up route 1 to San Francisco. You don't need to go that far north, but the drive was our favorite part of the whole trip.
AFCA

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » do aug 11, 2011 10:21 pm

GangstaRiB schreef:Thanks! I indeed didn't mention Disneyland, because I'm sure I will not go there. If I want to go to San Diego or Laguna, would it be better to rent a car or go with public transport?
LA has a lot! What would you like to do and how much time do you have? If you want you can PM me and I'll help you out.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr aug 12, 2011 12:04 am

gordonvandekamp schreef:
aveslacker schreef:Rent a car and drive up the PCH as far as you can. LA isn't one of my favorite cities but it is pretty close to a lot of neat things: the coast, the mountains, Joshua Tree, Vegas, etc.
I'd recommend this if you've got the time. I went to LA earlier this year with my girlfriend for a conference she was presenting at and after that was done we drove up route 1 to San Francisco. You don't need to go that far north, but the drive was our favorite part of the whole trip.
Go up as far as Hearst Castle which would include Morro Bay and Cambria would be a pretty cool trip but would take two additional days.

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » vr aug 12, 2011 9:50 am

Orange14 schreef:
gordonvandekamp schreef:
Go up as far as Hearst Castle which would include Morro Bay and Cambria would be a pretty cool trip but would take two additional days.
I don't think I have that much time. I think I'll go with the tips from Orange14 and rent a car and go to laguna beach. I was told that the north of LA is nice, but there is an everlasting traffic jam, so it could take you hours (?) to get there. I have no clue about distances and traveltime in that area. If my boss gives me a couple of days extra to get used to the climate and time difference, it would be an option.

ajaxcolombia

Bericht door ajaxcolombia » do aug 18, 2011 1:36 am

“Ik wilde Janssen ook al naar Ajax halen, maar men vond hem toen te oud”, geeft de trainer aan. “Hij paste niet in de Ajax-cultuur van zelf opleiden. Net als André Ooijer, Joris Mathijsen en Derk Boerrigter.” Saw this comment made by Martin Jol but I don't know what it means. Google translates it to absolute gibberish. Can anyone help me by translating this please?
Godenzonen

ajaxcolombia

Bericht door ajaxcolombia » do aug 18, 2011 1:37 am

“Ik wilde Janssen ook al naar Ajax halen, maar men vond hem toen te oud”, geeft de trainer aan. “Hij paste niet in de Ajax-cultuur van zelf opleiden. Net als André Ooijer, Joris Mathijsen en Derk Boerrigter.” Saw this comment made by Martin Jol but I don't know what it means. Google translates it to absolute gibberish. Can anyone help me by translating this please?
Godenzonen

Kilroy

Bericht door Kilroy » do aug 18, 2011 1:48 am

ajaxcolombia schreef:“Ik wilde Janssen ook al naar Ajax halen, maar men vond hem toen te oud”, geeft de trainer aan. “Hij paste niet in de Ajax-cultuur van zelf opleiden. Net als André Ooijer, Joris Mathijsen en Derk Boerrigter.” Saw this comment made by Martin Jol but I don't know what it means. Google translates it to absolute gibberish. Can anyone help me by translating this please?
Here you go: "I already wanted to bring Janssen to Ajax, but the people found him too old" indicated the trainer. "He did not fit within the Ajax culture of self-schooling. Just like Andre Ooijer, Joris Mathijsen and Derk Boeirigter"

ajaxcolombia

Bericht door ajaxcolombia » do aug 18, 2011 2:11 am

THANKS!!!
Godenzonen

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » do aug 18, 2011 3:25 am

great game between barca and real today. brutal foul at the end by marcelo who gets sent off, along with ozil and pinto, the reserve barca goalie (seems like he always gets sent off in barce real brawls)

mourinho also manages to pull the barca assistant coach's ear and talks sh** after the game

barca win. it'll be a great season.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do aug 18, 2011 11:07 am

The Spanish players are going on strike as they are owed something like 80m euros in back wages.6 of their top league clubs are basically bankrupt.
Still makes me sick that all the big clubs owe millions but can still pay out silly transfers and wages. Reading today that Spurs cannot afford to buy Adebayor but will loan him from Man City and only pay 50% of his 200,000 euros a week wages. They cannot afford Scot Parker who earns 100,000 euros a week with West Ham who are not in the EPL . Back to Spain of course the big 2 owe hundreds of millions but still continue to buy big. Big football is finanacially sick and something needs to happen . I do not think UEFA's new Fair financial code is worth the paper its written on.

Back in England Wenger is being hounded by the press for not spending money but forget the small point that Arsenal still have a debt of 150m euros on paying for their ground. They do make profits but live within their means as their debt is different being on the new ground.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do aug 18, 2011 12:04 pm

I just posted a link about Everton's problems on the 'General Football Discussion' thread. European football is rotten to the core when it comes to financing clubs. Look at these Russian clubs that are run by big oil money and how they are going after top flight talent now. I cannot blame the players for chasing the big €s but something really needs to be done and I'm not sure that Platini's approach is going to work.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di aug 23, 2011 7:37 pm

5.9 Quake in eastern US. Epicenter SW of D.C. in Mineral, VA. near Charlottesville. May have to rethink living in 7th floor of highrise condo after one heckuva shaking here in Media, PA.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di aug 23, 2011 8:06 pm

Blind3 schreef:5.9 Quake in eastern US. Epicenter SW of D.C. in Mineral, VA. near Charlottesville. May have to rethink living in 7th floor of highrise condo after one heckuva shaking here in Media, PA.
Yup, it really rattled the house down here in Bethesda! A couple of pictures fell down but that was the worst of it. I grew up in Southern California and have felt worse than this but this was unusually long in duration (about 30-35 seconds here) and was felt as far north as Toronto Canada. If your condo building is of recent construction I wouldn't worry too much.

afcajax73
Contacteer:

Bericht door afcajax73 » di aug 23, 2011 8:39 pm

Orange14 schreef:
Blind3 schreef:5.9 Quake in eastern US. Epicenter SW of D.C. in Mineral, VA. near Charlottesville. May have to rethink living in 7th floor of highrise condo after one heckuva shaking here in Media, PA.
Yup, it really rattled the house down here in Bethesda! A couple of pictures fell down but that was the worst of it. I grew up in Southern California and have felt worse than this but this was unusually long in duration (about 30-35 seconds here) and was felt as far north as Toronto Canada. If your condo building is of recent construction I wouldn't worry too much.
But if its old.. your fecked?! :drecul.gif:

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di aug 23, 2011 9:53 pm

1970s era high rise. I just figured that Dave Matthews , his HQ is Charlottesville , released another shitey album and caused the quake. Next up is aftermath of hurricane Irene round about Sunday . Damned Mayans are a year early. :1evil.gif:
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di aug 23, 2011 9:56 pm

Blind3 schreef:1970s era high rise.
You will be fine. This is about as bad as it will ever get here in the northeastern quadrant.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di aug 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Read that a fault line exists near Charlottesville, thus quakes not unheard of, but that 5.9 is an unusually high quake.
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di aug 23, 2011 11:35 pm

Blind3 schreef:Read that a fault line exists near Charlottesville, thus quakes not unheard of, but that 5.9 is an unusually high quake.
Everything you want to know about today's quake: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... a/#summary We had one down here last summer but it wasn't as strong or long as this one.

Kilroy

Bericht door Kilroy » wo aug 24, 2011 5:41 am

Benfica - Twente
Folks in the US can see the game in High Definition on Fox Sports Net. In the West that is FSWHD @ 11:30 PDST, Direct TV channel 692.

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » do aug 25, 2011 6:35 pm

Orange14 schreef:I just posted a link about Everton's problems on the 'General Football Discussion' thread. European football is rotten to the core when it comes to financing clubs. Look at these Russian clubs that are run by big oil money and how they are going after top flight talent now. I cannot blame the players for chasing the big €s but something really needs to be done and I'm not sure that Platini's approach is going to work.
Ehm... doesn't this already happen for decades for talent from the 'small countries' (ie. Scandinavia, Belgium, Holland, Baltics) that are transferred to Spain/UK? For us it doesn't matter if they go to the UK and receive 200.000 a month (amounts are way out of control) or to Russia?

I don't think the Fifa or Uefa will do its work. I guess the financial crisis will be more of a factor. In Spain, 20% of the young educated people is unemployed! And on the other hand, the big clubs still have massive debts but keeping buying players for millions. Its totally unbalanced. It has to fall apart.

Plaats reactie