Ajax Coaches

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Van basten

Re: Ajax Coaches

Bericht door Van basten » wo okt 20, 2010 8:02 am

Frank Rijkaard turns attention from Liverpool to Ajax

Dutch coach Frank Rijkaard has his sights set on managing his former club Ajax, despite speculation that Liverpool's new owners have lined him up as a replacement for Roy Hodgson if deemed necessary.

Rijkaard enjoyed a five-year spell coaching Barcelona and took over as boss at Turkish giants Galatasaray just over a year ago. Things have not gone well for Rijkaard at Galatasaray and following a 4-2 defeat to lowly Ankaragucu, speculation is rife that he will be given the sack.

Rijkaard's name has been mentioned in recent days as a possible option for Liverpool, should their position deteriorate further, necessitating the removing of Roy Hodgson from the Anfield hot seat.

Spanish daily 'Sport' reports that although the Liverpool job would appeal to Rijkaard, he is also keen to take over at his former club Ajax, where he enjoyed two spells as a player at either end of his playing career. Rijkaard established himself as an international midfielder at Ajax, before enjoying a wildly successful spell at AC Milan.

According to 'Sport', Rijkaard would welcome a return to Ajax as coach, with Dutch legend Johan Cruyff willing to return to the club as sporting director. Cruyff was Rijkaard's coach during his first spell as an Ajax player.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo okt 20, 2010 12:38 pm

Well I see Jol leaving whatever at the end of the season and although I may be in a minority of one on this site I would be happy to see these 2 return .

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo okt 20, 2010 12:51 pm

SPL schreef:Well I see Jol leaving whatever at the end of the season and although I may be in a minority of one on this site I would be happy to see these 2 return .
You can add me to the list. I think that Rijkaard has really matured as a manager and would be a welcome addition if he commits to the club and doesn't run away at the first offer from a bigger club (though since he already has managed Barca to a CL crown maybe he doesn't need to do so).
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo okt 20, 2010 6:15 pm

I am quite happy with how things are with Jol but clearly he wants to get back into the EPL. If we win the title that will be great for his CV to get another job. Whether we win the title or not will he want to stay and start again by rebuilding ie Steks,VdW,Vertoghen, Luis and Urby will be going ? imo I think he will go next summer and leave the job of rebuilding to someone else. If that is Rijkaard with JC getting involved I will not complain.

The most important thing is to win that title first and worry about Jol leaving then.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do okt 21, 2010 8:02 am

Personally I'm unconvinced by Rijkaard.

I consider his tenures at Sparta, Galatasaray, and as national coach failures.
At Barça he had incredible resources at his disposal ... so he would have had to have been very incompetent not to win something.

He comes across as a bit too 'soft' and in need of;
a) tactical help (which JC offers I suppose, at least until his next bust up with the board)
b) a 'hard man'/coach who takes care of the day to day training (which Ten Cate did at Barça)

But overall I'd rather see a real hands-on manager who does the above themselves.
The policy of giving the job to illustious alumni hasn't exactly been successful in the last 15 years has it?
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » do okt 21, 2010 9:51 am

I suppose we could do worse than Rijkaard once Jol leaves (which I expect will happen after this season). But Cruijff coming back? Really? I'll believe it when I see it.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma nov 15, 2010 5:38 pm

I see Jol received the customary vote of confidence from van den Boog. Usually with US sports clubs this means the manager is gone within two months.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » ma nov 15, 2010 6:22 pm

Orange14 schreef:I see Jol received the customary vote of confidence from van den Boog. Usually with US sports clubs this means the manager is gone within two months.
There was film on the tv last night of them next passing each other in a corridor at the stadium after the match.
A picture tells a thousand words.....
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » ma nov 15, 2010 6:49 pm

Orange14 schreef:I see Jol received the customary vote of confidence from van den Boog. Usually with US sports clubs this means the manager is gone within two months.
In Europe it means the same, usually.

But to be honest with you, I don't think that Jol is the one to blame. The players screwed it up yesterday. Another coaching change will not help us any further.

Cruijff wants a revolution, but if I look at the names he is dropping, there's no hope. He mentiones Van Basten (nuff said....), Molenaar (a lawyer that desperately wants in the board, because he is ALWAYS in the media when Ajax has some kind of crisis).

That are Cruijff's " friends". They are not going to let Ajax play football that will take Europe/the world by surprise.....

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo nov 24, 2010 3:37 pm

Good old day ? Whose good old days ?
Afbeelding
Appie, stay strong !

Flipster81

Bericht door Flipster81 » wo nov 24, 2010 8:26 pm

I wouldn't mind the club going in a slightly different direction than the 'old boys' route, why not approach Leonardo? he made some interesting things happening at AC Milan... Attacking Football!!! his 4-2-Fantasia formation was a big hit... even Spain won the world cup using it... aaand it's not too far away from our 4-3-3 anyway.

I say give Leonardo a shot and maybe we'll be pleasantly suprised, the 'new Ronaldinho' might find his way to the ArenA.
T.I.P.S.= Technique, insight, personality and speed, this is the Ajax way.

acab

Bericht door acab » do nov 25, 2010 8:51 pm

Yeah, if you ask me, the time to try a non-dutch coach has come years ago. Vote with 2 hands for Leonardo. Ofcours,e Ardiaanse is still my first choice :biggthumpup.gif:

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » do nov 25, 2010 11:48 pm

acab schreef:Yeah, if you ask me, the time to try a non-dutch coach has come years ago. Vote with 2 hands for Leonardo. Ofcours,e Ardiaanse is still my first choice :biggthumpup.gif:
And Mine :biggthumpup.gif:
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr nov 26, 2010 1:58 pm

I hope Jol will leave at the winter break. And Danny Blind could replace him untill Co Adriaanse comes over ...
Afbeelding
Appie, stay strong !

afcajax73
Contacteer:

Bericht door afcajax73 » vr nov 26, 2010 2:30 pm

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editor ... ot-come-as

bit of a story regarding Jol and Ajax's expected underachieving.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr nov 26, 2010 2:56 pm

afcajax73 schreef:http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editor ... ot-come-as

bit of a story regarding Jol and Ajax's expected underachieving.
Silly article. Anyone who would write that Suarez impressed during his CL outings is delusional. He was suspended for the first Madrid match and did hardly anything thereafter. Oojier saw exactly one WC match action.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr nov 26, 2010 3:54 pm

I don't think it is entirely true that we are so bad. AJA proved to be too strong for the Amsterdam giants is a ridiculous statement.One has to bear in mind that we were cheated twice by stupid referees allowing decisive but off-side goals (AC Milan home, and Auxerre away). We just can not compare to the top 8 sides in Europe, but most clubs at the CL group stage can't.
And the problem with Jol's tactics is not that it changes too often, on the contrary it's that it's too predictable.
Appie, stay strong !

Flipster81

Bericht door Flipster81 » vr nov 26, 2010 6:26 pm

I vote 2 hands (and feet) for Leonardo Head Coach with Co Adriaanse as his No.2

let Leo bring some Italian defending coach and Co brings the Ajax know-how and the traditions with him. :neutral.gif:

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » zo nov 28, 2010 11:21 am

filipus23 schreef:I vote 2 hands (and feet) for Leonardo Head Coach with Co Adriaanse as his No.2

let Leo bring some Italian defending coach and Co brings the Ajax know-how and the traditions with him. :neutral.gif:
I think that's highly unlikely because Co has said he'll never come back to Amsterdam (iirc) and if he did, it's unlikely he'd come back as an assistant.

I actually wouldn't mind Blind replacing Jol. Blind didn't do great in his first stint as coach, but he didn't really have much experience at the time. Now he has (almost) two seasons under his belt as an assistant and is about as ready as he'll get. Besides, how many top coaches really want the job?

Although, iirc it was Blind who got rid of Escude, which was a shocking failure...
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Flipster81

Bericht door Flipster81 » zo nov 28, 2010 3:55 pm

Yeah I know it's highly unlikely with Co but I mean Leonardo has one colourful season at Milan under his belt as coach, thats it. Leo with maybe Blind as no.2 and now that Arnesen is leaving Chelski maybe ask him to come in and look into scouting etc.
But he would probably want fortunes and we haven't got a Russian sugar daddy to pay him.

But if not someone like Leonardo then we need a coach who is going to give the talented youngsters like Ozbiliz, Blind, Bonevacia, Zegelaar and vd Heijden when he returns the opportunity to develop and not block their path with failing or unfit players he knows from pastures old.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » zo nov 28, 2010 5:51 pm

filipus23 schreef:But if not someone like Leonardo then we need a coach who is going to give the talented youngsters like Ozbiliz, Blind, Bonevacia, Zegelaar and vd Heijden when he returns the opportunity to develop and not block their path with failing or unfit players he knows from pastures old.
Totally agree with this which is why I wouldn't be the most disappointed person in the world if Blind, with his long connections to Ajax and the youth, would get another crack at the job.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » wo dec 01, 2010 10:57 pm

Look at what Aris achieved tonight against Atletico Madrid... Pure magic from hector raul cuper... We need that kind of magic when our talent isnt enough
May the Force be with you

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do dec 02, 2010 2:39 am

souras84 schreef:Look at what Aris achieved tonight against Atletico Madrid... Pure magic from hector raul cuper... We need that kind of magic when our talent isnt enough
Cool. Atheltico could crash out as they play Bayer Leverkusen on the final group match. Also, Juventus look to crash out as well since they could only draw with Lech Poznan today and have to play Man City in their final match. I think Italy is in danger of losing their fourth CL qualifying slot with this performance.

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do dec 02, 2010 9:29 am

Orange14 schreef: Juventus look to crash out as well since they could only draw with Lech Poznan today.
Just caught the last 20 minutes of that game last night. The result was fun but the game was a complete farce - played in a howling blizzard, very lucky there were no contentious decisions as you couldn't see the pitch markings and everyone was slipping and sliding everywhere.

I thought the snow here in London was bad enough (it's certainly shut down everything as UK PLC can't cope with it as usual) but that was a complete joke.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do dec 02, 2010 10:11 am

Orange14 schreef: Juventus look to crash out as well since they could only draw with Lech Poznan today and have to play Man City in their final match.
I'm glad. So much for the cheats from Turin. Give us the 96 CL trophy back !
Appie, stay strong !

Plaats reactie