Ajax Orlando

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

DrDigital
Contacteer:

Ajax Orlando

Bericht door DrDigital » vr okt 24, 2003 3:19 am

If you speak 3 languages, you are tri-lingual. If you speak 2 languages, you are bi-linqual. If you speak 1 language, you are American (US). :smile-ajax:

We quietly turned on the AOFC web site (www.AjaxOrlando.us) this past Tuesday. Since there are many avid fans & supporters of AFC Ajax on these discussion threads, I would ask you to view our new site and offer critique, commentary and compliments where you think they are appropriate.

BTW, the initial load into your web browser will be a bit slow because of the graphics. Steps are already underway to make it load faster without compromising the look.

Thank you, in advance, for your insight and feedback.

Drecul

Re: Ajax Orlando Football Club (AOFC)

Bericht door Drecul » vr okt 24, 2003 7:27 am

DrDigital schreef:If you speak 3 languages, you are tri-lingual. If you speak 2 languages, you are bi-linqual. If you speak 1 language, you are American (US). :smile-ajax:

We quietly turned on the AOFC web site (www.AjaxOrlando.us) this past Tuesday. Since there are many avid fans & supporters of AFC Ajax on these discussion threads, I would ask you to view our new site and offer critique, commentary and compliments where you think they are appropriate.

BTW, the initial load into your web browser will be a bit slow because of the graphics. Steps are already underway to make it load faster without compromising the look.

Thank you, in advance, for your insight and feedback.

Or France for that matter ;)

Welkom DrDigital and congratulations on your website it looks ok to me.

Except for one little thing on the topic every person is important de charcter e is replaced by the cahracter x. It could be me I'm not sure.

I've noticed your put up a link to our forum, therefore I will post your link in our sticky link topic "recomended sites".

Marijn

Bericht door Marijn » vr okt 24, 2003 12:29 pm

A very warm welcome to you, DrDigital. Always nice to have the webmaster of AjaxOrlando.us on your board. I like the site, though it ain't that fast. I enjoyed reading the lines about Ajax's youth academy.

Keep up the good work!
Drecul schreef:Except for one little thing on the topic every person is important de charcter e is replaced by the cahracter x. It could be me I'm not sure.
I hope your kidding, Drecul. If not, better read that topic again and maybe you'll understand why.

mr_cooper

Bericht door mr_cooper » vr okt 24, 2003 1:18 pm

i hope that good job there will continou

Arthur

Bericht door Arthur » vr okt 24, 2003 1:25 pm

Welcome Dr Digital.

I'm really curious how well Ajax Orlando will do in a few years. The potential in a big country like yours must be huge. If AOFC can produce a couple of stars in the not to distant future maybe that will help to make the sport more popular in the US.

Drecul

Bericht door Drecul » vr okt 24, 2003 1:55 pm

Marijn schreef:A very warm welcome to you, DrDigital. Always nice to have the webmaster of AjaxOrlando.us on your board. I like the site, though it ain't that fast. I enjoyed reading the lines about Ajax's youth academy.

Keep up the good work!
Drecul schreef:Except for one little thing on the topic every person is important de charcter e is replaced by the cahracter x. It could be me I'm not sure.
I hope your kidding, Drecul. If not, better read that topic again and maybe you'll understand why.

oke, oke....helpt het als ik zeg at het exceptioneel vroeg was vanmorgen?
:blush:

WP_Legend

Bericht door WP_Legend » vr okt 24, 2003 2:27 pm

great site, but I see that everyone can join ajax orlando if they pay enough.. isn't there a scouting program over there that takes the biggest talents of the country?

DrDigital
Contacteer:

Bericht door DrDigital » wo okt 29, 2003 4:43 am

WP_LeGeNd schreef:great site, but I see that everyone can join ajax orlando if they pay enough.. isn't there a scouting program over there that takes the biggest talents of the country?
The scouting infrastructure is in transition. It is still very early. AOFC's aim is to be the dominant provider of scouting, development and management of American soccer talent. AOFC is already well funded. It is not just a matter of someone who pays enough. AOFC is not for everyone.
/3d

DrDigital
Contacteer:

Ajax Orlando Hires World Soccer Megastar as Tech Director

Bericht door DrDigital » di jan 27, 2004 9:37 pm

Check out latest press release on Ajax Orlando...

http://www.ajaxorlando.us/home/67691.html
/3d

joey
Erelid

Bericht door joey » di jan 27, 2004 9:40 pm

So Wim Suurbier is joining your club? Congratulations! He's a genuine Ajacied, hopefully he can help your players progress in the future! :xyxthumbs:

Bericht door 343 » do mar 04, 2004 10:11 pm

Ajax Orlando Hire Petersen

Source: soccer365.com

Ajax Orlando Football Club, the exclusive American affiliate of European soccer club AFC Ajax (Amsterdam), today announced the appointment of Greg Petersen as director of youth development. The first American professional coach to earn full certification from the Union of European Football Associations, Peterson will oversee the development of the training curriculum within the Ajax Orlando youth academy.

"The essence of the Ajax Orlando program is to train young athletes in a technical and educational environment designed to optimize their potential," said Mark Dillon, president and CEO of Ajax Orlando. "Greg's ability to recognize aptitude and develop it to its full capacity will strengthen our growing organization."

Petersen's professional background includes coaching positions with both PDL and A-League teams. Most recently, Petersen served as director of soccer/head coach for the Des Moines Menace, a member of the Premier Development League (PDL), where he led the 2003 Menace to the play-offs with a record of 12-5-1.

Prior to the Menace, Petersen was a private consultant, specializing in professional soccer both domestically and abroad. He served as director of soccer for the El Paso Patriots from 1999-2000 and the Nashville Metros from 1997-1999, both members of the A-League. With the Patriots, Petersen led the team to the playoffs for the first time in five years. He led the 1998 Metros to the Central Division Championship, as the second highest scoring A-League team that year.

Petersen received his bachelor's degree in speech communication from California State University. He holds the highest coaching license in the U.S. from the United States Soccer Federation and was the first professional coach in the U.S. to earn full certification from the Union of European Football Associations.

Ajax Orlando is the exclusive American affiliate of AFC Ajax (Amsterdam). The company was founded in 2003 to scout, recruit and train the top soccer talent in the United States at its Orlando, Florida, headquarters. In addition to operating its youth academy, Ajax Orlando administers national camps and international tournaments to seek out the nation's premier soccer players. More information about Ajax Orlando can be found at <http://www.Ajaxorlando.us>.

Bericht door 343 » ma mar 15, 2004 12:40 pm

Soccer Business Profile: Ajax Orlando's Mark Dillon Part I

This is the eighth of our series of in-depth profiles of people working in the business of soccer. The goal is to give you some idea of the work and personalities involved, both for fans and those considering the business side of soccer as a career. As well, we hope you can learn where soccer has gone in the U.S. to help you see where it is going.
In 1626, Dutchman Peter Minuit purchased the island of Manhattan from the Indians for $24.00. Nearly 375 years later, the Dutch are investing in America again with hopes of developing American soccer players. Whereas the Dutch were one of the first countries to tap into the resources of colonial America, world famous soccer club Ajax Amsterdam will try to be the same with the soccer talent pool in the States.

Ajax Orlando is the latest venture by the highly innovative Dutch club in trying to develop talent to bring to Amsterdam. The man in charge of Ajax Orlando is Mark Dillon who is hoping to spread Ajax’s vision of player development all over the country. This new venture could revolutionize how players are brought along in their soccer career with a vertical structure that could start when a player is a toddler and go up to a professional club.

Dillon recently had time to sit down with USSoccerPlayers.com Editor Andrew Monfried and discuss the ambitions of the club and why they are good fit with Central Florida and the country itself.

Part I: Planting the seed

Give us the timeline for how this program first came about.

The actual conversation began in May, 2003. I had drawn up a business plan for an integrated professional youth academy with a vertical alignment to a professional team. I had been shopping this idea for about 18 years. I had a conversation with a local businessman who is a friend of Wim Suurbier, a former Ajax player. My friend shared it with Wim who took it over to Ajax. He said Ajax had been looking for something like this in the United States, but they could not get their arms around it.

That led me to a conversation with Leo Beenhakker, then their technical director, who suggested we put together a presentation with my vision for Orlando and U.S. soccer and see if there was a match. That led to a trip to Amsterdam for a few of us. We spoke with Leo and the business and technical departments and laid out a master plan for developing our structure for youth development. It resonated with Ajax with what they were already doing and a vision of what they were doing with their satellites. It took about a year to get all the details fine tuned, but it led to a contract with us being the official Ajax affiliate in the U.S.

In 18 years, you must have offered this idea to other clubs. What were their responses?

I have been very closely involved with Bayer Leverkusen since 1990. I had in-depth discussions with people at the highest level there since there has not been a G-14 club more proactive about U.S. players than Leverkusen.

Two things held them back. Leverkusen preferred to buy players as they saw them, and there was a concern about the autonomy of Bayer USA and Bayer AG, which is the German parent company. It became a situation where it was too cumbersome to work through it. That’s really when I thought this was better for Ajax, anyways.

Why Ajax?

Their youth program has taken on almost mythical proportions in the world from the standpoint that they produce so many players. It’s a club that so many seek to emulate. To have that sort of technology and absorb that culture from the direct tutelage from the masters themselves was an opportunity we could not pass up. It gives us something unique in the U.S. market.

What is Ajax’s vision for this project?

They have a global vision. They have branched out into Africa. They have a satellite club in Ghana, and they have dabbled in Canada and Mexico as well, but they see the United States as a major emerging market for talent. Having John O’Brien in the team has helped. The success we had in the World Cup helped that.

The jury is still out though. We have to still do our work and produce a player in the next five years who can make an impact at the European level. We are hoping we can do that. They have a great deal of faith in what is available here from the standpoint of athletic resource, managerial know-how, organizational strength and ability to maximize all those elements together.

European clubs were offering millions of dollars for Freddy Adu this summer. How many players could this program produce if the same amount of money was channeled into it?

This is not an exact science, and there are a lot of factors that go into it. I think Freddy is something of an anomaly because few human beings have that level of athletic ability. There are a large group of talented 14-year-olds who have similar abilities, but they may develop differently. There are factors such as injuries, emotions and interest. You just don’t know. All you can do is hope you have good people who can spot that talent. We have every reason to be optimistic because A) we know our business and B) the United States is a very fertile market for this.

Tuesday: Part II - So you want to be a player?

© RMG3 2004

Ramona
Erelid, Toto winner 03/04, 17/18, EC 08

Bericht door Ramona » za feb 05, 2005 8:51 am

ajaxusa schreef:Ajax Orlando’s Youth Development Director takes on PDL General Management, Coaching.

Orlando, Fla. - (February 2, 2005) – Ajax Orlando today announced the appointment of Greg Petersen as general manager and coach for the club’s Premier Development League (PDL) team the Ajax Prospects. Petersen joined Ajax Orlando in 2004 as the director of youth development. He assisted with the inaugural Prospects team in last summer and has coached the U17 and U18 teams in the Ajax Orlando youth academy.

“Greg’s ability to develop the players in our youth academy directly contributes to the success of our PDL team,” said Mark Dillon, president and CEO of Ajax Orlando. “His experience with the league and his professional understanding of game operations adds excitement and enthusiasm to our second year.”

In his new position, Petersen will oversee player recruitment and training, as well as other management functions. He is responsible for a new game partnership program that allows youth clubs across the state to host an Ajax Prospects PDL game at their facilities. This program allows host clubs to witness the highest level of amateur soccer available in Florida.

Petersen’s professional background prior to Ajax Orlando includes coaching positions with other PDL and A-League teams. Petersen served as director of soccer/head coach for the Des Moines Menace PDL team, where he led the 2003 Menace to the play-offs with a record of 12-5-1.

Prior to the Menace, Petersen was a private consultant, specializing in professional soccer both domestically and abroad. He served as director of soccer for the A-League’s El Paso Patriots from 1999-2000 and the Nashville Metros from 1997-1999. With the Patriots, Petersen led the team to the playoffs for the first time in five years. He led the 1998 Metros to the Central Division Championship, as the second highest scoring A-League team that year.

Petersen received his bachelor’s degree in speech communication from California State University. He holds the highest coaching license in the U.S. from the United States Soccer Federation and was the first professional coach in the U.S. to earn full certification from the Union of European Football Associations.

##END

(I will post most of these press releases as soon as I receive them from AOFC. If it's REALLY hot Ajax news -- like the appointment of Wim Suurbier as Technical Director, or of his replacement Barry Hulshoff, then I'll write a news story on Ajax USA and post a link to that story here.)

Ramona

Bericht door Ramona » za feb 05, 2005 8:51 am

ajaxusa schreef:Benjamin Ziemer joins organization to enhance education for players and coaches.

Orlando, Fla. – (February 3, 2005) – Ajax Orlando Football Club, the exclusive American affiliate of European professional soccer club AFC Ajax (Amsterdam) today announced the addition of Benjamin Ziemer to the organization’s technical staff. Ziemer left the Santa Rosa United Soccer Club to become Ajax Orlando’s national education director. His new responsibilities include developing curriculum for all levels of the Ajax Orlando youth academy, implementing educational programs for the coaching staff and fostering affiliation relationships with soccer clubs across the country.

“Benjamin is a gifted teacher with a deep knowledge of the Ajax system and the standards necessary to meet European expectations,” said Mark Dillon, president and CEO of Ajax Orlando. “His experience in event and club operations and ability to design educational programming will be of benefit to our coaches and players, as well as participants in Ajax soccer schools and camps.”

His experience with the Santa Rosa United Soccer Club includes serving as director of the academy and assistant director for the overall club operation. Ziemer has developed U9 and U10 boys and girls, coached U15 and U12 boys and provided oversight for 11 club level teams.

Ziemer also went into business with his brothers to form Ziemer Brothers’ Soccer, Inc. The organization developed soccer programs, promotions, staff education, curriculum, tournaments and directed camps. Ziemer’s responsibilities included directing day, week, residential and weekend camps, coaching clinics, tournaments, as well as curriculum development and facility management.

Other assignments have included serving as the director of coaching with the Rohnert Park Express Soccer Club, California State Olympic Development Program director of coaching for district five and coaching the Rancho Cotate High School men’s varsity soccer team. Ziemer holds a United States Soccer Federation “A” license, German Soccer Federation “B” License and is a Frans Hoek licensed coach.

##END

(Jim's note: I worked with the Ziemer Brothers many years ago; when I was a web consultant, I built their first web site. They generally have a very good reputation in the California soccer community, so I'm sure AOFC is happy to have a connection to the Ziemer family in their organization.)

Ramona

Bericht door Ramona » za feb 05, 2005 8:52 am

ajaxusa schreef:One more note: I spent a weekend at AOFC as Mark Dillon's guest in November. It was an extremely interesting weekend, although not for the reasons I would've anticipated going into it. As soon as I take the time, I'll write about that for your collective amusement. :xyxthumbs:

gforce99

Bericht door gforce99 » wo feb 09, 2005 7:44 pm

Is this the official thread for Ajax Orlando?

ajaxusa
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » wo feb 09, 2005 10:51 pm

Uh, yeah. Guess so!

gforce99

Bericht door gforce99 » vr feb 11, 2005 3:32 pm

I have heard from a good source that Ajax Orlando might be changing its name.

Anyone else hear that? I think they might go to a larger audience, like Ajax Florida or even Ajax America.

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » vr feb 11, 2005 9:17 pm

Ajaxorlando.us get your facts straight.
http://www.ajaxorlando.us/faq/index_E.html schreef:Ajax is a strong warrior prince, best know as the hero of the Trojan War. Ajax was considered the second greatest warrior after Achilles, whose body he carried back to camp while Odysseus held the Trojans back. He is remembered most for his bravery and courage in battle.
Err, not exacty. What really happened...

The Ajax family fielded two teams in the Trojan War. Ajax The Great and Little Ajax. Kinda like Ajax 1 and Ajax 2 in the Amstel Cup. Both of them were braindead hooligans.

Ajax I

Son of Telamon, King of Salamis, Ajax The Great was slow of thought but quick in battle. After leading the team that kicked the enemies ass at the away game in Troy (1220 BC), General Ajax claimed the weapons of the late Achilles. However, that didn't go down well with the rest of the squad, who decided to hand the merchandise to Odysseus instead.
The utterly frustrated Ajax, never a good sport, took out his sword to kill his team mates (like Mido with the scissors), but after being blinded by the Goddess Athena he chopped up a herd of sheep and their shepherds into souvlaki instead. Struck with shame, our unfortunate hero committed harakiri by flinging himself onto the sword given to him by Hector in exchange for his belt.

Ajax II

After the son of Oileus, Ajax of Lokris, who was in the Trojan Horse line-up of 1184 BC, stole the Palladium (the sacred image of Pallas) from Athenas Temple and raped Cassandra at the altar, a very pissed-off Athena called on Zeus and Poseidon to kill that perverted little fuckwit.
Poseidon destroyed his fleet off the coast of Cape Caphareus, but Ajax Minor managed to survive and made it to the rock of Gyrae in injury time.
As the extra time ticked away, Little Ajax pushed his luck too far by shouting insults at the gods. The penalty shot by Poseidon, a thunderous bolt of lightning headed straight at the center of the goal, smashed his little rock to pieces and Ajax The Arrogant drowned in the sea.

Ouch! That hurts! The Great Ajax is a murderous Don Quichote, the lesser Ajax is a carbon copy of Patrick Kluivert. And our enemies of the Feyenoord and PSV discussion boards are lurking on this forum...

© 666, who hereby grants permission to copy this story to www.ajaxorlando.us/faq/index_E.html

Ajax raping Cassandra in a menage-a-trois with Athenas statue:
Afbeelding
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » za feb 12, 2005 5:06 pm

gforce99 schreef:I have heard from a good source that Ajax Orlando might be changing its name.

Anyone else hear that? I think they might go to a larger audience, like Ajax Florida or even Ajax America.
That would be, er, silly. The other two Ajax clubs, including the Mothership, carry the name of the CITY in which they reside. To name the club after the STATE or the CONTINENT itself would look like a marketing-driven land-grab...

gforce99

Bericht door gforce99 » ma feb 14, 2005 3:07 pm

Just telling you what I heard from the home office. I am not sure, but I bet Ajax Florida or Ajax America isn't too far off.

Here is the comment:
"We are going to move a bit away from the Orlando moniker towards something that more reflects our national character."

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 15, 2005 11:20 am

In the village where I grew up a group of dudes had a sort of fetish for Volkswagen Beetles. They bought old Beetles to renovate them and paint them in flashy colours. They also had their own annual Beetle Race at the local motorcycling track. After a few years they found out that theirs was actually the only Beetle Race of its kind in the world - and they officially registered their race as the 'Official Volkswagen Beetle Racing World Championship'. Which was hilarious, because it was just the same five guys every year, plus perhaps one or two similar Beetle nutjobs from other countries.

The 'World Championship' became a cult phenomenon in the area (a good excuse for the local kids to get plastered) and it was all done with a very, very obvious eyewink.

So, what's my point?

My point is: it would be grotesque, a bit megalomaniac and very, very silly to re-name Ajax Orlando 'Ajax America' or - God forbid - 'Ajax USA', for the simple reason that soccer in America is hardly more popular than Beetle Racing in Holland.

Besides: we're talking about a sports club here - and sports clubs represent their city or area. I mean: we're not talking about MTV Europe or Warner Brothers Germany here. You don't talk about Ajax The Netherlands, Borussia Germany, the Canada Maple Leafs or the USA Yankees either.

By the way: what if they want to name themselves 'Ajax USA' and they claim our domain name on the web? We've been around since 1995, doing our (non-profit) thing for Ajax Amsterdam, long before Ajax Orlando was even founded, so I guess our position would be quite strong.

Ajax USA forever!! :headbang:

K.
Still alive...

gforce99

Bericht door gforce99 » di feb 15, 2005 1:58 pm

I was under the impression that most you guys on these boards don't really follow Ajax Orlando except for some odd curiousity. Why would it both you if they changed their name to the State or even the Country? I would think that if Ajax "whatever" America was successful, thats what you would want.
Hopefully all of this moving around for the team can stop when they go pro (can't happen fast enough).
Has anyone heard anything about a pro Ajax team in the US?

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » di feb 15, 2005 3:29 pm

Sporting Clube de Portugal
Austria Wien
(a long time ago) Holland Sport
Internazionale

if Orlando finds a new sponsor: Ajax Universal

They could call themselves Ajax Canada or Ajax Mexico. We already got Hellas Verona...
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 15, 2005 3:56 pm

gforce99 schreef:I was under the impression that most you guys on these boards don't really follow Ajax Orlando except for some odd curiousity.
That's true. For me Ajax Cape Town and Ajax Orlando are not more than that.
Why would it both[er] you if they changed their name to the State or even the Country?
Wouldn't bother me at all. I would find it rather silly, as I explained above. But no, it wouldn't bother me.
I would think that if Ajax "whatever" America was successful, thats what you would want.
Yes, although most Ajax fans would primarily hope that Ajax Orlando will be succesful in developing players for Ajax Amsterdam. Look at Ajax Cape Town: brought us Steven Pienaar, which is great, but I think the average Ajax Amsterdam supporter doesn't really follow how they're doing in the South-African league.

K.
Still alive...

Gesloten